Friday, November 23, 2012

Books - under your tree?

Hello, my name is Jenny and I am a bookaholic. I have a Kindle -  I am moving into the current technological age... but some books are meant to be handled, fondled, browsed, and treasured. My in-laws are finally adjusted to the fact that books thrill me for Christmas gifts. For years they would get things from my wish list and then worry I would be disappointed with books under the tree. Nothing better than spending Boxing Day ( Dec 26th) curled up, coffee in hand, sleepy dog at my feet - and a brand new book.

Here are some favorites from my fellow AJE team members, and some we wish were under our tree....



The History of Beads : From 30,000 B.C. to the Present - we all all creating in a form that dates back to the dawn of man, and woman. It is fascinating to see the beads evolve through time, and yet stay universal...




The Penland Book of Jewelry: Master Classes in Jewelry Techniques 


I had the good fortune to study Ceramics at Penland one summer. I would recommend the experience to anyone serious in their medium. It is a transformative experience. And you are taught by the best in their fields...

Enchanted Adornments  by Cynthia Thornton

I have this book, and I love it! Cynthia works magic in a variety of mediums. Inspirational and inventive!














 The New Encyclopedia of Jewelry-Making Techniques: A Comprehensive Visual Guide to Traditional and Contemporary Techniques
 Recommended by AJE team member Lesley Watt - this one looks interesting!







PMC Technic: A Collection of Techniques for Precious Metal Clay by Tim McCreight - also recommended by Lesley - McCreight is a moderm master! Metalsmith who embraced precious metal clays...






Heat, Color, Set & Fire: Surface Effects for Metal Jewelry by Mary Hettmansperger   I personally recommend this book, and I know its on team mate Francesca Watson's wish list!  Phenomenal ideas for patinas, color applications - a must in my mixed media studio. 



The Jewelry Architect: Techniques and Projects for Mixed-Media Jewelry by Kate McKinnon - highly recommended by Francesca!















Creative Bead Weaving: A Contemporary Guide To Classic Off-Loom Stitches by Carol Wilcox Wells - I am not a seed beader, but this looks to be a comprehensive tome!









Masters: Beadweaving: Major Works by Leading Artists - also by Carol Wilcox Wells - a seed bead book of eye candy and inspiration. 




500 Raku: Bold Explorations of a Dynamic Ceramics Technique  - recommended by AJE team mate Karen Totten - although not beads or jewelry - a very inspirational book! I personally love the entire 500 series that Lark books publishes!









1000 Glass Beads: Innovation & Imagination in Contemporary Glass Beadmaking - eye candy of the lampwork variety. I find books or fellow artists work very inspiration, as a jumping off point, of course - not to be derivative, but to be inspired and put MY spin on things...








The Art of Enameling: Techniques, Projects, Inspiration by Linda Darty - a gorgeous comprehensive book on traditional enameling techniques. 















Amulets and Talismans: Simple Techniques for Creating Meaningful Jewelry by Robert Dancik - Confession - This is the most "my style" on the list. I have worked with Robert before, I create with similar goals in mind, creating talismans with meaning and intention. So yes - I am a little biased. 












Foldforming by Charles Newton-Brain
From Francesca's book shelf! I know many metal workers who are using this technique to amazing ends!











So what books do you think YOU would like to see under the tree? 


Disclaimer: I am receiving no special consideration from Amazon or the authors mentioned here. No money, free loot, jewelry, or thanks and appreciation. I simply love books!

And please feel free to browse our shops. As the season starts today with Black Friday we have many sales and tempting treasures... You can find all the details at our Holiday Open House page.



3 comments :

  1. Great selections! I think I have about 8 of those books. I probably need the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books too! I would love to get Charles Newton Bains book on fold forming! Our kids love to read and for many years they receive gift cards to Barnes and Noble for Christmas and birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must admit I have most of those books too....

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.