Friday, November 2, 2012

Freeform Friday: flexibility

I have been thinking recently about flexibility. Not yoga, and Pilates... but flexibility of one's space...
I have a Really Big Show coming up next weekend, and it is a show where I can unveil myriad mixed media treasures that defy the regular art show's categorical classifications. So I have been in the studio, a bit frantic, I will admit... But as I have been working I have been switching back and forth: polymer, beading, metal work, resin... the true "mix" in mixed media. And each time I have rearranged my workspace to accommodate the medium du jour.

That may sound horrible - to have to put one thing away before delving into the next, but its how I always seem to work. I do not rent studio space outside the house - for me it isn't worth it. My husband and I have three pets - so all the spare rooms our for us... My ceramics studio is in the basement, and my other space is upstairs. Let me take you on a tour, and show you some of my Swiss Army knife-style tricks for arranging my flexible space.

The jewelry worktable. 
This stable is the hub, and stays set up. This is rather organized - I caught myself on a good day. Beading, wire work, sawing, stamping, cold connections... The underneath is the real trick:


This cart (on the left) holds the gems, the artist beads, the dapping block and mandrel... I use mainly gems, and have them arranged loosely by color.

This cart (pix to the right)is tools, metal, faux bone, steel wire, engraver,  sandpaper... I love that the tool bag fit on the cheap wire cart - and I always know where things are. (Let me pause here. I AM a Virgo. I love organization. I seek a creative chaos...) 





The studio has three tables arranged in a sort of "U" shape. One is a desk of sorts - art journaling, small collages, the making of lists, and resin happens there.

And the main table is the most flexible. I TRY to keep it free of clutter and ready to work. Last week it was set up for polymer. It is where I torch fire enamel.  My flex shaft is there. Alternately - it is my collage table  - and of course it has storage underneath!








My system has been put togetther over a few years and a few trips to IKEA, but it works for me. I had a friend years ago who lived in a small apartment with her 2 daughters. She kept her seed bead projects separated on cookie sheets. one per project. Space was a premium and it was a flexible system. 

What is your system? What does your space look like? Home or away? Do you have enough room? Can you EVER have enough room? Do you have designated spaces for certain materials? 





12 comments :

  1. My spaces are all over the house and much much more messy. I have two rooms in the basement. a nice corner in the living room and the kitchen table seems to always be a landing pad of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting tour of your work space Jenny and many Similarities to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your space looks rather clean and organized, mine is horrendous right now and I don't anticipate having time to clean it. It's always fun to see other artists space, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya - isn't the kitchen table the landing place for everything? LOL. I can see the living room working well for the prime time/family time...

    Lesley - lets see! Do share!
    Kristi - No reason to clean it if it works for you! I do a major clean and re-organize once a year. Very cathartic. I "find" new idea and things I had squirreled away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My space desperately needs to be cleaned, I know I would find lots of things I've completely forgotten I have. I in fact am quite sure there are a couple of things on that table that I haven't been able to find.

      Delete
  5. I adore seeing workspaces! I always love seeing how other people work and I love how you have yours set up, looks very efficient. Mine is mostly functional but plenty of room for improvement. I think it's a project for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very organized! I love it. I try really really hard to organize. I usually lose steam about halfway through the project. Or I find unfinished things that MUST BE FINISHED RIGHT THAT SECOND or the world might end. Or something. Which means I just mess it right back up. It's a never ending battle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a coffee fueled organizing madwoman. Sometimes its not pretty.

      Delete
  7. I love seeing workspaces, too. My studio is the smaller of two bedrooms in my home but sometimes I think about swapping spaces with the master bedroom so that I can set up different stations: one for polymer clay, one for soldering, one for enameling, one for beading, one for embossing, etc. Right now if I work on anything other than beading, I end up taking over the dining table and kitchen counter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the pics of your space! My workbench is in our barn. My hubby and I share a workshop. It's really awesome to be able to share a creative space! The only draw back - Hubbby is a woodworker, so my bench is forever covered with sawdust!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tour. My world is chaotic at best. I spent too much time looking for stuff, but every time I try to start organizing anything I get distracted. "oh I forgot about this! Oh cool! I wondered where that went" and so on. The enamel supplies are in a big tote that comes out when it's time, the etching stuff has their own world too. Stamps are actually in a drawer, and the beads..oh the beads and chain maille stuff is freaking everywhere. It is what it is. Sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely don't have enough space. Well I shouldn't say that as I do have room to keep. Everythingorganized but I need more table space as I find new interests.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.