Tuesday, November 13, 2012

7000 Bracelets of Hope






Are you familiar with the 7,000 Bracelets for Hope campaign?  Many of us bead makers and jewelry designers are.  It's a bracelet program for people or families who suffer rare genetic diseases.  Here's a bit of information directly from their donation page:

"Cause bracelets have been available for breast cancer and heart disease but there has never been a unifying symbol, color or bracelet that represents the rare and genetic disease community.  That’s why we started the 7,000 Bracelets for Hope™ campaign.
Since launching the campaign in 2010, Global Genes has received thousands of unique blue themed bracelet designs made from everything from cut strips of recycled denim to vintage blue glass to turquoise stones. The creativity from our volunteers is truly inspiring!

The number 7,000 represents the 7,000 different rare diseases that impact 1 in 10 people, 30 million Americans and 350 million globally.  Each individual blue bracelet design we receive represents the uniqueness of one of the 7,000 rare diseases and many of our volunteers send in multiple copies of a single design.

Our goal is to continue to collect unique bracelets made by jewelry designers, artists, crafters, church groups, girl scout troops and other volunteers and distribute them to our families fighting rare and genetic diseases. Adults receive handcrafted bracelets made by our jewelry designers while children receive love friendship bracelets filled with hope."


I was contacted by Lisa James (Manager of Community Development for Global Genes/Rare) and asked if I would host a blog hop, as they are in need of at least 40 bracelets right now!  I said YES!  While I'd love to get more than 40 participants, or 40 bracelets, let's just do our best to get close to that number!


Here are the details:

1.  Sign up on my blog HERE before November 21.  Why that date?  I don't know...it's just a random date.  I'd like to be able to eventually publish a list of participants but I'll take participants for the whole entire time!


2.  Go to their donation page so you can sign up, and get the address to send the bracelets too, and instructions!  The bracelet should be blue, and the clasp should be somewhat adjustable as you don't know the wrist size of the person receiving your bracelet.


3.  Make a blue bracelet, and on November 25th we'll have a blog hop and reveal the bracelets we made!  Oh, and you CAN make more than one!  My friend Patti Vanderbloemen recently donated 75 bracelets to the annual Global Genes Gala in LA!  Talk about dedication!


So simple!  If you have any questions please ask me.  If I can't direct you to the answer, I will direct you to Lisa James.   

6 comments :

  1. Great project Sue and if I hadn't just sent of a box of bracelets to Global Genes I'd be joining you. Hope you get a great response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely project, I'm signing up now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giving back, I like that, I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm up for it. There must be some blue beads around here somewhere.....let me look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm signing up - I have a lot of blue Earthbutter beads and it will give me the greatest pleasure to make a bracelet for this cause. Desiree Malan, Earthbutter Studio, South Africa.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.