Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Booth Strategy, or Lack Thereof

I'm sure many of you are bead/jewelry show veterans, and have a great strategy for your booth.  Me, not so much.  I was an art bead vendor at Bead Fest Philly last year, and that was my first big bead show.  In fact, I hadn't even attended Bead Fest before last year!  Needless to say, my booth was somewhat pitiful compared to some of the other artists who were there.





Plenty of merchandise, but clearly lacking in many areas.  This year, I set out to change what my table is going to look like, but I'm not holding my breath that it's going to be amazing.  I am just not that person.  I am not a decorator, and I feel that you need those skills to have a great booth as well!

First, lights.  I went to IKEA on Sunday and purchased these great LED crane lights to attach to either side of my booth.

HUH????  I need to figure this out before I go!

Last year I had all my beads in these compartmentalized trays.

I'm still going to have these trays, because I just did not have time to do anything else, but I am adding these pretty black trays with velvet inserts for some of the beads, to make them stand out more!




Also, last year I displayed my egg-y beads in a crystal bowl that my boyfriend thankfully threw in the car at the last minute.  This year, I am putting them (and my new bird beads) in this slighter larger, plain clear bowl from IKEA.  I think it shows them off better (they aren't fighting with the faceted crystal) and it is slightly larger so you can run your fingers through the pile of beads!

And finally (for this post) I decided to use my cute little wasabi dishes I got in Japan for my key charms. 


I also got a new 4' x 2' banner from Vista Print!  At the last minute of course, and had to pay rush printing, but it just wouldn't be me if I did it ahead of time!  I hope it looks ok.  Cuz everyone including me is going to be looking at it for the better part of three days!


Things that are still on my list - a tablecloth other than white, a table runner, wood wine boxes to put under said tablecloth to raise the back portion of the display, and bring some jewelry and magazines I have been in.  Wish me luck!  I'll send a photo of the booth from Bead Fest!


11 comments :

  1. I have a local show coming up and I'm struggling with the same things. I am also planning to come to Bead Fest as a vendor possibly next year so I really want to figure it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ikea is the bomb isn't it! I have found some great studio and booth display items there as well as furniture and lighting for our home. Sounds like you have some wonderful ideas for your booth at Bead Fest! I wish I was going to be there to check out your new beads, but I will look forward to a post show blog post.

    Have a great time at the show selling your absolutely magnificent beads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always a work in progress on a booth. It changes for me each year and I only do 1 show! (Which I totally need to start getting ready for!) One of my best tips is to buy bed risers to put under the table legs so that they are higher for people to view your pretties. I like the little black trays with just one special bead. Makes them really pop! Good luck to you, remember to wear good shoes, drink plenty of water and put that smile on! Enjoy the day. Erin (P.S. Totally crushing on the purple KEYS!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck at the show. I'm with you when it comes to design so it looks very nice to me & I love your sign

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Sue - I'm sure your lovely beads will shine :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Booth display is an ever evolving process and it sound like you've got lots of upgrades this year. Looking forward to meeting you in TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same lights the led white light really works well. Bed, bath, and beyond has great table cloths in all colors I go with black, I think there is one around the corner from the show. I am winging it a bit this year because it is my first 10 x10 booth and I have tried every table configuration imaginable. So I am bring a six foot table because that will fit in the car and figure it out when I see the space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally laughed when I saw the pic of the light. LOL! Hope you figure it out in time. I love the black added to the compartments. Very nice. I can hardly wait to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited to see it in action!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your booth will be glorious and seeing you will be amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am learning that a good display is extremely important. I am going to have a Vista banner at my craft shows also.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.