Monday, August 12, 2013

Texture Texture Texture

Texture is one of the things I love most and use as much as possible in everything I make!
You can make a texture mold off of so many things you might not even think about.
I'm going to share some of my tried and true favorites and some newer ones I've discovered fairly recently.
While putting together this post I walked around the house and found several brand new things to take molds of that I had never considered before and some I just hadn't gotten around to yet.


Above I've made a mold of an inexpensive lace doily and I really love the look.
I've been using this mold for awhile now and show some finished Copper pieces using it.


This is a new one! I think when I bought it for my show table display I considered trying to make a texture of it but I never got around to it. While I was thinking about this post I remembered so I went and got it and I really like the result!



Now this one is kind of an odd one but it turned out well. This is one of those sticky mat things you cut and put in your cupboards to set dishes and glasses on.
Not bad.


I love this one!!
It's a WigJig!!
Yup, makes great little dots!


Above you'll see the results that look like stone.
The texture is taken from the candle holder pictured below.
It really looks like stone and is up at the top of my list of favorites!



While the above isn't my favorite it's not bad. This is a serving tray.
Not quite enough definition for me but I might use it again.


This Gold Charger Plate I wasn't so sure about. The dots are so tiny I wasn't sure if the texture would be too find, but it turned out much better than I expected.
It's actually much better looking than the picture shows.
Goes to show you, you gotta give it a try cause you never know!!


And last but not least!
I think this might be my favorite of the bunch, I've played around quite a bit with it and I love the little twigs and things I've made with it.
It's a shingle or a piece of siding, not sure to be honest, don't even know where it came from.
It's got such a variety of texture on it I'll probably make even more molds from it.

I'd love to know what kind of strange things you've made molds of,
the sky is the limit!!








Kristi

14 comments :

  1. I love the textures in everything you make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome! Your table display mat is sitting right in front of me on my kitchen table! The wig jig is genius. As I look around - oh my - tons of textures starring at me. Thanks Kristi. Guess I'll be 'molding' everything today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, it's crazy!! They are all around you, you just have to see them!!

      Delete
  3. I love how you find such wonderful textures around you home. This looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the wonderful post Kristi. I'd love to try these. But, I haven't been able to find the silicone molding paste yet. Would you send me in the right direction for it, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get my 2 part molding compound at Michaels, Hobby Lobby also carries it. There are numerous other brands as well. Rio Grance, CoolTools, Art Clay World and numerous other websites carry various brands.

      Delete
  5. Love, love, love this post! Great ideas for texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so unique, Kristi.
    Really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your textures. This post makes me want to work with some type of clay, just so I can go on a texture hunt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing all the different examples of textures. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your work!! I want so much to start making my own beads.... Hope I will have courage to start with it!!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.