Saturday, September 7, 2013

How To ~ Two More Pressed Flower Bead Designs

I hope you all haven't gotten bored of my pressed flower beads already… I have two more how-tos for you today. These are quite a bit more simple than my last design, but they turn out looking like you put a lot of time into them. And it's all thanks to a nicely textured mold! :-)

Here they are…

1. Choose 2 molds (or texture sheets) of the same or similar pattern. Roll equal size balls of polymer for each bead.
2. Sandwich a polymer ball between the two molds.
3. Press firmly using a small glass dish so you get even texture.
4. Ta-da! your nicely double-sided textured currently hole-less bead!
5. Before removing the polymer from the mold,  gently cut the hole — this way that pressure won't distort the texture. I used a large leather punch for my cutter.
6. Bake for an hour and cool.


Next, paint your donuts…

And enjoy that nice texture…



Now we're going to make some wrapped beads…
1. Chose a mold or texture sheet with a long or repeating pattern. Roll same size pieces of polymer — this time lengthen them into sticks.
2. Press firmly.
3. Wrap to form beads. I used a crochet hook for my beads.
4. Ready for the oven. Bake for an hour and cool.

Paint…

Go make something with them!!

See, that was pretty easy… and made some fun new beads! I hope you'll give these a try. What new creations have you been working on? Making anything with polymer clay lately?

Now that we've spent quite a bit of time on these pressed flower beads, I think I should maybe blog about something else next time. After all, I don't want you to get bored. Any ideas? I love to talk polymer and beads! I'm taking suggestions!



30 comments :

  1. Lovely designs Rebekah...you always get the most wonderful weathered finished to you beads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so great! I also had to laugh because I played for the last days with donut shape designs for my beads. Polymer clay is really one of my favorite materials!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing beads, great technique

    ReplyDelete
  4. Serious love going on here! Beautiful results to all your painstaking work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not in the least boring! Love your textures (and that blue!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are just beautiful. Never bored with your tuts. Some day I will learn polymer clay. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thrilled seeing the finished result of the first bead, then I scrolled down and swooned! Love those wrapped beads!
    Ok, here's one for you to ponder. I've seen some gorgeous lampwork beads in a 'crusty' style. It looks like they've been dusted with snow, or baking powder, or confectioner sugar... Anyway, I was wondering if there is a way to do that with polymer clay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! Yes, that crusty look is one idea I've been pondering. It's not something I've been able to do (yet :-) — it sure would be neat in polymer!

      Delete
  8. I always love your organic designs, Rebekah, and I hope you are encouraging all the non-PC artisans to give this wonderful technique a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boring? No way! I love polymer clay but it's not an intuitive medium for me. Your posts are like "magicians secrets revealed!!!" and I love them! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these photo tutorials, Rebekah! So clear and inviting. Thank you.
    You've inspired my to try making some of my own molds, too. Your color washed wrapped beads are so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the polymer clay beads you made and the colors---may I ask what type of paint you used to get that beautiful look. Thanks for the lesson. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Lynn, but it's nothing fancy… I just use Plaid and Galeria paints. It's all how you apply it to the beads — I use the paints more like stains and washes and apply them in very thin multiple layers.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Rebekah! I will look for those paints and try it.

      Delete
  12. These are gorgeous! I want to play with polymer clay very badly, but I will wait until after my class at ArtBliss this month!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my... you are so kind sharing this tutorial. Thank you so much, I cannot wait to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet!!! I'm not even certain how I ended up on your blog, but, it was worth the visit! (love the donuts, heck, love the tubes!!!) I think I hear my pasta machine calling...
    Thanks for the awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful work. Thank you so much for sharing the how to make them....I am off to make molds!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous! I love your soft touch with paint, they look so ethereal. Really love the wrapped beads especially.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Omigosh! These are so beautiful! I can't wait to try to make some beads. Thank you so much for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazingly lovely as ever! I love them! And you are so generous to share your talents. Thank you! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd love more information on your painting technique for this project. It makes a truly professional presentation!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are fabulous, I must try the rolled ones...LOVE!! thank yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! it is so fantastic to see this post because through this post anyone can try to make flower bead designs.


    flower jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these beads :-) Thank you for sharing them :-)

    I hope it is ok with you, I have featured a link to your post (no images) in a blog post I have written telling me readers about inspiring floral craft projects I have enjoyed recently.

    http://www.jennamichellepink.co.uk/2015/06/11/12-fabulous-floral-craft-ideas/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful! How did you paint them? They have such a wonderful patina!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These beads are so lovely and your tutorial inspires us to make them. Perfect time of year to pick plants and flowers from the garden. Thankyou for sharing!
    Sonja - visiting from SustainMyCraftHabit

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.