Saturday, September 28, 2013

Where did all the time go?


Time. And the lack of it. But mostly how to manage it better… that's what's been on my mind for the past several weeks. It seems everyday goes by with things left unfinished on my to-do list and it feels like each day is ending so soon after it's begun. I've tried toying with the theory that I, somehow, have much shorter days than everyone else on this planet. I know, you have that same theory about yourself, right?

You're going to laugh when I tell you that I planned to write a post on how my efforts for time management were starting to work for me and I was creating like never before… and then this week (and the week before) went absolutely out of my control and I was hardly in my studio at all. Yep, they did.

You're going to laugh again when I tell you that at the time of starting this post it was 2:19 a.m. EST. Yes, that's a.m. I ran out of time during the daytime, so now I'll use up the night hours too.


And so now, I'm going to sit down on the floor and cry…

No. (Okay, maybe just a little.)



(My new kitty friend would actually like if I did that — I'm his mobile bed.)

Did I mention that he's super cute?



So, the question is, why do I, and so many of you run out of studio/creative time? Or on some days we don't make anytime for it at all? When we do sneak away to our studios or creative corner, the house falls apart, family goes crazy, we forget to eat, and most of all, we cut back on sleep… right? I know I'm not the only one.

Okay, we know there is a problem. We know what we want to do (create!) and we know what we need to do (life stuff). There's a happy medium in there somewhere and I'm sure it's there even for the most busy of us.


I'm making it my goal for the next two weeks (since my blog posts here are two weeks apart… and I might need some extra time ;-) to get back on track, working harder at taking time every day to be creative. I'm going to start by reworking the details of my studio plan:

• What I need to do: maintain my shop and current inventory
• What I can do: keeping my production goals at what are actually humanly possible
• What I want to do: work on new designs and experiment with new techniques

Care to join me?

Lets talk about it and let's try to work it out… how are you managing your time? What hinders you the most? Do you have creative time every day? Only a couple times a week? Are you one of the lucky few that has reached (or are you getting closer to reaching) that happy medium? Do share!




Whew! I finished writing my post and it's now 5:31a.m. Talk about managing time well! Good night!




12 comments :

  1. It's so dang difficult Rebekah!!! You've just reminded me I have to post here at AJE on Monday and I'm in full on production this weekend, my last weekend before The NW Bead Society show next weekend, but I'll have to find some time to do a post that people might want to read as well. EEEEEK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm my own worst enemy in regards to making studio time. I am oh so temped by the computer and my favorite shows on TV, plus I have several volunteer projects for some very worthy causes. Then there's the laundry, supper, dishes, dusting etc. Really there is not enough hours in the day to get it all done and still have time for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I am in for this challenge. I will not let you do thos alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh along with you, because on my to do list (one of many) is "make a schedule for creating new products to sell." It's been on there for a month or two while I studiously ignore it, catching up on episodes of TV shows and doing housework.

    Sometimes I berate myself for having wrong priorities, but I really think the issue is that of fear. Fear of failure, fear of success or fear of venturing into the unknown? Maybe all three, or maybe something else.

    I know exactly when you mean, Alice, about being our own worst enemies. Honestly, I'm not sure what the answer is, except to recognize it for what it is and determine to carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man (woman), healthier, wealthier, and wise. Try to follow that mantra and see if it helps : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny because it's all too familiar! I just read this to my husband to prove I'm not the only one that struggles with this balance and forgets to eat sometimes when I finally make studio time and get in the zone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your wonderful post. I remember, distinctly, giving a Sunday School lesson that had as its basis: There are 168 hours in each week. I asked the class to write down what all they'd planned for the next seven days. I will never forget the ire of a redheaded student who was furious with me for saying that she had to cut her list down to 168 hours. (my sister and brother are redheads and I cannot claim to have been surprised!) Truth is, we have 168 hours every week, and some of it must be allocated to sleep, showering and eating. Wise women will figure out what is really important to them: keeping their shops supplied; innovation; family emergencies, etc. and apportion time for the things she really values. A wise woman will build in some slack for unforeseen events. A wise woman will be flexible. A wise woman will set an earlier deadline than the real one so that she has some slack. A wise woman will react with good humor when "life" ruins her plans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a huge challenge for me too. I will join the challenge and try to be more focused about my management of time. I know I just waste a lot of time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a procrastinator I always have been and that is what I need to change. It will be difficult, but I believe I can push myself to change.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Internet hinders me. I spend way too much time on it! I love reading blogs. I learn so much from them. I have met some wonderful people on them. It does get in the way of actually creating at times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - sounds like my life in this post. I get pretty hard on my self when I don't accomplish all the things on my 'to-do' list too. More than actually finding or making the time to create, the problem for me lies in deciding what exactly to create,...unless of course I've got specific orders, a challenge to tend to or something of this nature. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to squandering my own studio time on re-arranging things, getting ideas or deciding what beads to use,....I think I need help for my self-diagnosed OCD. LOL!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.