Friday, July 6, 2012

Being brave with your Design- Pushing the limits of your materials- "Siren's Song" necklace

Hello friends!

I am excited to share one of my newest designs! I got brave and pushed the limits of my materials so I wanted to encourage you to do the same. After all, some of the best designs come from doing things that may not turn out. My art teacher used to say "No Risk, No Art!" Wow, who knew that would stick?! ;)

This design was just one of those things that kind of stuck me as I looked through my bead box. A long while back I received the beautiful patinated wings from my friend, Staci Smith of SL Artisan Accents. I remembered having this gorgeous Mermaid charm from Green Girl Studios and thought that the two would go beautifully together. I was in a really sea inspired mood. I blame that inspiration on Karen, Staci and the new Creation is Messy glass color, Poseidon.
Here was the hideous messy of my desk with my lone design in the center lol. 

Here is a closer look at my pattern I had laid out. See my mermaid in the center with the wings? Here she was just layed on top. Now to figure out how the heck I was going to assemble her! The hole for the mermaid was at the top of her head. The wings hole was in the center of the wings and on the wing tips. I tried EVERYTHING to get them rigged together. I tried cording, wire working, NOTHING was working :(

Then.... I had a thought.... What if I made a hole in her back with my dremmel? *GASP* Was this a good idea? Well pewter was soft, right? Her design was nice and solid and there was a nice thick spot I could drill inbetween her back and hair. *Inhales deeply* Ok, I'm going to go for it.

I pulled out my dremmel and attached the smallest rounded drill tip I had. I held my breath(literally. Yeah, you may not want to do that part ;)) and gently drilled into her back on one side.  Then I moved her to the other side and began gently drilling.....
I felt the drill release as I had hit the other side! SUCCESS! I moved my dremmel away and peered into her back. Yep, light! I did it! There was still enough of her hair over the hole I created to be substantial! *WHEW*

I typed in with text where the hole is since it's a little hard to see.

Here you can see the holes in the wings and if you look really closely you can see a little mark on her left arm where the hole is. Now to get her together.

I took my c-lon cording and genly wove through each wing and through her back about 3-4 times. I then pulled tightly and tied a knot. I then tied a knot in each loose cord, snipped them a little past the knot and gently melted the ends to prevent fraying.

Look how perfect she looks! The wings look like they were created especially for her! :D I was so delighted that not only did my bravery pay off, but at the exquisite design I had just created.





I went to work stringing, and wire-wraping, knotting, crimping. I added in a wonderful nested loop connector that I had received from Karen.

I tied on some sari silk in some watery colors and used one of my new watery sea anemone ruffled discs.
I added a string of my Sea Opal wing dings, a beautiful podish clasp from Bokamo designs, some patinated chain from Karen, and a Lichen spacer from Staci.


Here you can see the whole necklace design :) I just adore this new piece!

I was in my pajamas while I was busily making my necklace, so when my sister showed up I ran to her to model my newest master piece! She arrived  in a pretty black dress with her beautiful olive skin and sparkling blue eyes. I drug her outside in the sunlight and clicked some photos.


Here you can see her wearing my necklace along with the earrings I created with the gorgeous earring bases I received from Staci in my happiness box :)

Here is a pic of the earrings.
 
 I encourage you to be brave with your designs and push the limits the next time you sit down to design. 

Anything is possible!

xo Genea
 

10 comments :

  1. Gorgeous necklace and earrings! Love the combination of all of the beautiful components in your necklace. Lucious colors. A risk well worth taking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Gorgeous combination of beautiful components. Love the lucious colors and texture in both the necklace and earrings. A risk well worth taking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmm Genea, feel free to send that my way. Yeah, thanks. :-)

    PS LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what gorgeous pieces! I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to drill through the pewter mermaid! It goes to show you have to take a risk now and then.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible necklace - so great to see your instincts pay off so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a work of art!! Love this. You're very brave to drill through such a gorgeous piece, but she came out perfect and it all looks wonderful together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a work of art! Love this. You are so brave to drill through such an awesome piece but it worked perfectly and everything goes so wonderfully together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much Libellula! I absolutely love the design and wearing it :)
    Anvil Artifacts- Thanks so much! Me too! I had fun picking out treasures for my piece. A little bit of all of my favorite things :) I'm so glad my risk was worth it!
    Diana- he he. Tell ya what. You can borrow it, k? ;) Thanks so much!
    Alice- Thanks so much! Yep, sometimes you have to dive right in! Glad it worked this time!
    Elisabeth- Thanks so much! *whew* Got lucky this time!
    Shel- Thank you kindly! Yikes, I know! I am so fortunate of Green Girl Studio's quality of work!

    xo Genea

    ReplyDelete
  9. UMMMMM don't send it to Diana send it to me!!!!!!! I love the process and holding your breath (I do that all the time) If I have need of someone with awesome tool skills I'm callin you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.