Saturday, July 21, 2012

Fun with Mismatched Earrings

I love earrings.  LOVE them!  I also love playing with art beads and sometimes you realize you only have one of something left.  What's a beader to do?!?  Make mismatched earrings that's what!
The bracelet I made for my design team's summer challenge NEEDED a pair of earrings to go with it but I'm trying hard not to tap into my Bead Fest inventory.  What was I to do?  As it turns out, I had made an extra starfish link for the challenge but only one.  I pulled out my seashell charms and found that I had an extra in there too!  Then I used leftover beads from the bracelet to make these fun, summer earrings.

When designing mismatched earrings you should keep in mind the colors, shapes and textures you are using.  The earrings above started with some great mismatched charms from MyElements and my own porcelain rounds.  Then I used crystals to bring out the orange in the acrylic charms.  I also repeated the circle shape of the disk by using a large, closed blue jump ring from Primitive Earth Beads.
If you find you are having a hard time designing mismatched earrings, keep it simple.  Instead of using different elements, use the same elements but in different colors.
Metal Me This offers wonderful disks in a variety of colors and designs that go nicely together and make mismatching easy.  Try pairing two different color designs with crystals and round chain (mimicking the shape of the disks).
The most important rule to remember...have fun!

14 comments :

  1. Diana, I love each and every one of thes! I've only made one pair of mismatched earrings, but haven't really gone beyond that. You've made me want to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should give it another try! I can't stop myself lately, lol!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful - I love that 'alike but different' aspect of the mismatched earrings. Sometimes we drive ourselves crazy trying so hard to get a pair of earrings to look 'identical' (the same exact curve to the wire, the exact same length, the beads and charms matching meticulously). I think making some complimenting, mismatched pairs would actually be fun and a whole lot less stressful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these tips! My brain will not allow me to make mismatched anything. Maybe I will start out slow with 2 different color components...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great "how to". I have much the same problem as Jennifer but started by using same group of beads but in a different line-up if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Jennifer: it is a big leap of faith for some of us. I think to our left brains it must feel like a "wobble" to one side or the other! My baby steps might consist of different coloured jump rings or chain (pretty pathetic LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Diana, I also love them all. I need to do more of this myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who would have thought mismatched could be soo cool. I love the ideas and thank you for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When in doubt use the K.I.S.S. method. What's the K.I.S.S. method you say? It's keep it simple stupid, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an awesome gift idea for both my daughters. They always intentionally wear mismatched socks so why not earrings?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was looking at blogs on the bead soup swap party & ran across your blog. I love making mismatched things. It also drives some of the family who are ocd nuts which is also fun:-) If you ever have another earring swap I would love to participate. You have some great ideas & I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Karla Morgan. TexasPepperJams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them! I'll probably host another earring swap in the fall. Would love to have you join in!

      Delete
  11. I love it! I used to wear mismatched earrings back in the 80's with my asymmetrical hairstyle.... It is a wonderful trend and I am so glad it was incorporated into creative jewelry making. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.