Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Personal Trainer Needed for my Creative Muscles

I wish I had something brilliant to share with you all...some amazing tip or tutorial or product. But I don't. The fact is, I'm completely brain dead. I have to fill my reserves before I have anything to share with others. 

lampwork headpins glass addictions jen cameron

I decided to go back to school this last fall. I finished my second semester finals last week and just crashed. Then I took a look around me and realized how much I've let slide over the last several months as I worked my butt off to get straight A's (yes, I'm a bit of a perfectionist...) Now I am trying to play catch up. 

The first priority is dealing with all the weeds and overgrown bushes and digging up the bushes that died over the winter. Because the longer that stuff is left undone, the worse it will be to deal with each day that passes. And we have a LOT of landscaping (whose stupid idea was that anyway? Oh yeah...mine). 

And before I can really focus in my studio, the studio needs to be dealt with. I haven't even started to tackle the "master the mess month" here on AJE. Guess I better get started. And soon. 

glass addictions studio


I've tried making beads twice in the last 4-5 months. All beads were garbage. All I could manage were headpins. It helped that I had an order for 25 pairs of headpins to force me into making something. Everything you see in these photos is lampwork I've done since Christmas. How sad and pitiful.

lampwork headpins glass addictions jen cameron

Why am I sharing all this here? Honestly I don't really know. I guess because I'm just being honest because I don't have anything to write that will passably fool anyone into believing I have something interesting to say. 

lampwork headpins glass addictions jen cameron

I will get back to lampworking in the next week or so, and hope as I get back into practice, my brain and hands will get back into the flow of it.

Have you ever felt completely brain dead and unable to create? I'm not talking about being blocked, just kind of out of practice and numb. Similar to when you break a bone and stop using those muscles while the bone heals and it becomes so weak and shriveled and it takes a lot of work to get it to do what you want again.


6 comments :

  1. Yep, I know that feeling. But you can't force yourself to create. One day you will see something on the Internet that will really catch your fancy and you will want to make something similar. It could be a completely different craft. In the meantime, don't be so hard on yourself - straight As is awesome! Oh, and get some help with that garden, pay someone a couple of hours if necessary. You'll feel so much better when that is sorted. Hope that helps. Take care!
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is good to see that artists have slumps. I prefer to call them my 'fallow season' where I am resting and renewing and plotting and planning - even if I am not aware of it! - for the next big leap. Of course, that means I have been planning that next big leap for over a year now..... We all get back to it! I am also trying to wrangle my studio space and it makes me feel a bit more normal to see that I am not alone in that task as well! Enjoy the day. Erin P.S. Love the headpins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you're not Superwoman...welcome to the club! Take a much deserved rest and let the creative waters seep back into the well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You dont need a personal trainer to push you harder, you need some time out to catch your breath and celebrate what you have achieved whilst studying. STraight As !!! How awesome! Of course other things had to go on hold whilst you focused on that. Your posts on AJE are one of those i really look forward to, I LOVE your work. But reading a real post of you in the midst of overwhelm is totally fine by me except you are way too hard on yourself. It is still inspiring just to see your gorgeous pictures and to peek into your studio. And to know that someone as creative and generous with sharing tips, also has time where life simply gets way too busy. So throw away that big stick and give yourself a few weeks to just potter around the house or garden, visit friends, read books, take naps until you feel your creative juice starting to flow again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think with school and all you have going on, it's no wonder your creative muscles are taking a break. I do know those feelings. I go with the flow, waste some time, play kid games, clean and organize my "space" (that always needs doing) and curl up with a good book. Giving yourself a break is good for your creative juices.....they marinate and get better than ever. You did have a lot to say AND you had some beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your work! Hope you get your mojo back! Do you sell these headpins? On Etsy or something ***throws hearts and flowers*** ;) -Lisa

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.