Friday, May 8, 2015

Creative Diversification aka Variations on a theme...


The prototype: copper, enamel paint, and faux bone. Version 3.0: copper, enameled copper, and polymer. 
The lunar hare - a theme that has inspired me and continues to inspire me! (I know we just did hares in March... ) The lunar hare is an archetype that appears across the world in diverse cultures, regardless of time or language. Often associated with a lunar goddess, the hare represents fertility and creativity.
Version 2.0 sold at Sweet Melissa's Dream. 
The pieces above are my interpretations on a theme. The first piece was truly a prototype; the enamel paint easily scratches off the copper background. The first "real" version I made sold at a friends boutique - and another friend owns it! I decided that this motif was one I would revisit... even though I usually do one of a kind work. The composition of the piece echoes my ceramic tile and pendant. And it seemed cohesive in my body of work...
My lunar hare tile and pendant designs. 
But it was a few hours spent reading and drinking coffee in the airport that really blew this idea wide open. I was reading "Maker Magic" by Connie Fox. (see Francesca's review of the same.) I knew I was what Fox calls an "intellectual designer" as I am driven to have content/meaning/intention/narrative in my work. One tool she recommended was the "SCAMPER" technique. (Teachers world over may recognize this mnemonic... It rang bells with me.)

SCAMPER is a mnemonic that stands for: 
  • Substitute.
  • Combine.
  • Adapt.
  • Modify.
  • Put to another use.
  • Eliminate.
  • Reverse.
You use the tool by asking questions about existing products, using each of the seven prompts above. These questions help you come up with creative ideas for developing new products, and for improving current ones. (Mindtools.com)

Initial sketches to SUBSTITUTE in my lunar hare design
Heavens! Animal silhouettes! Enameled backgrounds, polymer backgrounds! So many possibilities and I had gone exactly 1 letter into the "SCAMPER" tool! And there were definitely influences from my fellow team mates: Caroline's blog on silk screening features these animal silhouettes. And Karen's leaf and branch would pair so well with the fox - its referenced in my sketch!

Influences and inspiration: Karen and Caroline


Today I FINALLY got to sit down to think on this again:

Reference photos researched online. Sketches drawn by hand, to scale; only the greyhound is a smidgen over 2". Transferred to copper - let the wild sawing frenzy begin!
The original and the reference photos. 
Sketched out to scale. 
Transfered to copper! 
I am not sure how these will all be integrated into work. Some will follow the original plan for sure. But I had a flash vision in my head of a small hare on an enameled full moon... and I so want to run with that idea as well.

I am constantly grateful for this team's camaraderie and inspiration - Look for more along those lines in the near future. For now - I have brewed afternoon coffee. I am going to saw!
Later!

Jenny



8 comments :

  1. How did the sawing go? This is an exciting track you are on. Can't wait to see how it all develops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sawing today. Not enough hours yesterday....

      Delete
  2. Your idea of using masking tape to draw on metal sheet is a fabulous idea, I saves having ot worry about the placement of design. But does the glue residue come of with cleaning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The masking tape is so light on stickiness, that if I pull it off in a timely manner I don't have a problem. But I usually hit it with a green scrubber before LOS anyway...

      Delete
  3. I am utterly in love with the Maker Magic book so glad Francesca did her review and your animals look fab I can't wait to see what they become!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After doing the blog hop I am into hares as well, just done a painting with one in for the Art Trail weekend in my home town, animals definitely inspire me and I will also be doing more in the future, thanks for the inspiration!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the direction you're going with this - and I'm totally stealing your masking tape idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.