Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Guest Blogger Shirley Moore: Tis the Season

Today we have guest blogger Shirley Moore talking about designing jewelry for the season without getting too kitschy if that isn't your style.

---------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone! I’m Shirley Moore, and I’m thrilled to be your guest blogger today.
I’m sure many of you already have a stock of seasonal designs ready to stock in your store. But what if you don’t, what should you create?

Personally, I’m not a fan of ‘themed jewelry’. I adore wearing my jewelry, and it irritates me if I have a piece that I love wearing, but can only wear it at certain times of the year.

Mummies by DonnaTrull Glass
These little mummy beads are adorable, but can’t really wear them in September, now can I?

Necklace by For the Cross Jewelry

But this beautiful pumpkin bead can be worn all throughout the fall.

I try to think outside the box on theme colors as well. Red and Green are the staple colors for Christmas. But you don’t have to stay with the traditional dark red and forest green….

Bead pair by SueBeads

Pair these green transparent beauties from Sue with some of these:

Copper Shard pair by Kristi Bowman
And, voila! You have a perfect pair of earrings for the Christmas season, that you can also wear throughout the year!

Don’t box yourself in with descriptions either. Diana has these listed as chili peppers, but….
Chili pepper charms by Diana P

paired with these cuties from Kristen, you now have Christmas colors with your own style!




Valentine’s Day is a tough one. Hearts and Roses abound! But, what if cutesy just isn’t your bag? I am slowly learning the lesson...don’t create for the market, create what you love. Nothing sucks the creativity out of you faster than to make something because you have to…

You can still create pieces for the season, just do it your way!

Heart by Aunt Matilda's Jewelry Box

Roses are Red by Eridhan Creations

Thanks for reading!

-Shirley Moore






9 comments :

  1. Great post Shirley...I'm not big on themed jewellery either but you have some good ideas here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done. :) Though themed jewelry is really cute it does limit them to specific times in one's year. Personally I do own a couple of themed pieces and find they're fun to wear for those occasions - granted it may be for just one day but still they make that day seem even more special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post Shirley. Love the "thinking out of the box" that you've done. These are great suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts, Shirley! Happy to see you here guesting at AJE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Shirley, I need to know...do you wear Christmas or Pumpkin Sweatshirts? We all did at one point in our lives, didn't we???? (I may still have some waaaaay back in my closet)!!! I so agree with everything you have written here - I don't like to create or wear "themed" jewelry either, though I do love to look at it!!! Great ideas here with great beads and components to match!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I will admit to wearing themed cardigans...but that is in the far, far past! :)

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the post here, Shirley! I'm big on color schemes for holidays too, so they can be worn throughout the year. You're offering some very creative ways to expand that thinking though, and I'm loving your samples!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am right there with you on the theme front. I have pieces I like for specific holidays but they can be worn anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your post! Another way to beat the kitch factor is to use a traditional shape in a non-traditional color. A Christmas tree in blue and orange, or a green heart with yellow flowers on it etc.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.