Saturday, September 6, 2014

More DC Museum/Tourist Inspiration

By now, you've probably heard about the adventure I had last Sunday with team-mates Jenny Davies-Reazor and Lesley Watt in D.C.  If you haven't, go read all about it. Jenny shares some wonderful, inspirational, creativity-sparking photos from our visit to the National Museum of the American Indian.  In continuing the virtual tour, and looking through my photos, I realize that I was "oohing" and "ahhing" a lot more than I was pointing and shooting!

I have some different shots from Jenny, not sure why I chose them, but as a relatively new component maker, I am always on the look for inspiration.

Very, other-worldly flowers outside the Smithsonian castle!  A rare "tree lily', native to Cuba and Jamaica.  I can envision smaller versions of these in polymer clay or glass perhaps?

Part of a "Yarn-Bombing" art project called  Perspectives at the Smithsonian by Japanese artist Chiharu Shiota.

Jenny and Lesley outside the NMAI...melting. I just noticed that the profile of the building looks like a sort of primitive face!

Cool art in the sidewalk of the museum of the phases of the moon. Spiral and circles...what's not to love!

Jenny shared this one as well,  but I loved it...the handles remind me of coiled copper beads I have made before!  There was also a wonderful blast of cool air that came out!

One of the 1st photos I took inside the museum, these are spindles for spinning wool.  Smaller versions for metal clay disks, anyone?

These stamps are hundreds of years old!  The exhibit showed them used in textile printing, but of course, I would use them on polymer or metal clay.  I would love to have that skull!

This really resonated with all of us when we saw it. 

One of my favorite sculptures I saw that day. Future Clone, by Fritz Scholder, 1999.  It was included in a scene of the movie, "The Black Swan". 
There was so much to take in and see here...I would love to go back and spend more time reading every plaque, opening every drawer and watching every video!


2 comments :

  1. I love this concept of a time ball, as a sort of a diary to keep note of happenings and memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa, I really enjoyed your post. iI is interesting to me how people sharing the same experience see things differently. I liked seeing the visit through your eyes too. The time ball is something I did not know about but what a wonderful idea. I read a story several years ago about a beader who spent a year with her husband on a sailboat. Since there was very little room to bring back souvenirs she made a necklace adding a bead each day. She had whale and dolphin beads from some of her students and she put them in the necklace when there was a whale or dolphin spotted that day. She included red beads for the days they ran into a financial problem like something breaking down. The necklace was wonderful and a great way to keep track of her journey. The time ball made me remember that story.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.