Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Enamelings Tips: Using Rubber Stamps!

If you've ever walked into a Michael's or a Hobby Lobby, chances are that at one time or another, you walked out with one of these:


Believe it or not, it's possible to use rubber stamps and a simple embossing pad (watermark pads work too!) to create patterns on your enameled pieces. Simply load up your stamp with embossing ink, and press firmly onto a previously enameled metal component.


Then sift a very large quantity of a contrasting color onto the component - really load it up.


Firmly tap off the excess (hold the piece by the edges so you don't smudge) and load it up again to fill in any spots you may have missed. Then place your components on trivets and torch fire until glossy.



The piece on the right just came off the fire - it will cool to match the color on the left.
It really is that simple! Don't use stamps with very fine lines, which don't hold the enamel grains too well, but otherwise there are really no limitations.

Components ready to be made into earrings!
(Thanks to my awesome students from today's enameling class for being patient while I prepped for this blog post - extra special thanks to student Letty Wilde for taking the "action" shots while I did my demonstration.)

So pull out that stash of rubber stamps left over from your scrapbooking days and go to town! And let me see what you create!

Until next time -




9 comments :

  1. Have to try this! Thank you for this great tip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea Francesca! Yup, I have one of those in my stash, still sealed. Do you think a heat gun would work, instead of torching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol - no, a heat gun doesn't reach the right temperature for enamel. You'd need an actual torch. I use a culinary torch from Amazon that screws onto a butane canister. They're inexpensive and easy to use. My product review is here: http://artjewelryelements.blogspot.com/2014/01/product-review-sterno-professional.html

      Delete
  3. Interesting post and lovely earring charms! Is it a coincidence that the design stamp you chose echoes the new AJE theme? Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Ann, I didn't even notice that - yes, coincidence, but a happy one. :-)

      Delete
  4. Great post! I haven't tried using stamps with enamel yet but I'm definitely going to have a go after seeing this :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty and really very easy. One day I'll find the time to play more with Enamel. Thanks for the tips Francesca!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Idea! I was feeling guilty for all the rubber stamps I keep holding on to and not using. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I a great idea Francesca. Thanx. Enamels are something I really want to play with.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.