Monday, September 15, 2014

Explorations in Chainmaille: Scalemaille

Back at Bead Fest, I purchased a few chainmaille kits from HyperLynks.  There are so many weaves I want to learn and kits are the best way to do this.  HyperLynks carries a wide variety of kits and they all come with instructions, quality rings and findings.  You just need to supply the pliers.
They had a kit for a scalemaille bracelet and earrings (in an assortment of colors) and I knew I had to give it a whirl!  
The instructions were very clear and I was off and running in no time.  Now keep in mind, this is also rated as a beginner kit and once I got the hang of the pattern I whipped this piece up in an evening.  
I went a little crazy and didn't realize just how long I was making the bracelet.  Once I stopped, I noticed it was far too long for my tiny wrists.
I removed a section and finished the bracelet off with a lobster claw clasp.
The kit actually came with instructions for a more dangly pair of earrings but I decided to make earrings with the sections I removed from the bracelet.  

I highly recommend the kits from HyperLynks.  Next up, I'll be learning Helm's Weave.  Stay tuned for a blog post on that in the near future!

Happy Beading!

Diana P.



6 comments :

  1. I love scales and these are so cool!! So much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hyperlynks has been my source for learning many of the weaves as well; byzantine was my first adventure, and I am, a year or so later, well and truly hooked. I've had the opportunity to take a few classes from Michelle @Hyperlynks as well, and she's a great teacher in person also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great color! And I've always been fascinated by scales! I may have to give this a try! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering how that was done when I first saw it. I think that it would look awesome in black & gold. Or teal & copper. Or...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been inspiring me with your explorations!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.