Wednesday, November 19, 2014

It happened. I am in a relationship.

So many times I see the new beads out there and look at them like "How hot are those".  Next comes looking at them on the Internet and flirting with the colors they come in.


Then comes the purchase and awaiting arrival like a first date.  All the anticipation and excitement.  Sometimes they are not all they seem to be up close.  This happened to me with gumdrop beads.  I love them and we had a couple of runs.




But things you thought you had in common just weren't there and you are left wondering what to do with them.  I just couldn't find the right way to play with them on my own.  It is a sad quick relationship.

Then sometimes you meet again unexpectedly with a new perspective and everything seems to fit. So it is time for that second date.  I was playing with some new tri beads I bought from Lisa Kan at Beadfest.


And had a thought.  What if I used them around my gumdrops.  How would that work?


I just started beading.  First came the round and how to keep it tight.  I stared at it for a while admiring the colors and texture and began thinking of how to take it further.  Well you all should know by now I love twins and superduo beads so naturally I reached for those.  Oh this time it was so awesome.  You both enjoy the time with excitement, fun and a few questions.  Oh where could this lead this time.  I likes very much the addition of superduos in the mix and how they played off the gumdrop.  Still not sure about the linking so we tried another date.




Yep the fun was still there but a few bumps in the road on this date. I have a love of true navy beads but they are so hard to come by. I had some beautiful Czech ones so I thought I would give it a go. Czech seeds can be smaller than Japanese seeds and this left a few gaps in the bezelling part. I will keep this one for me because of that. Hey what is a good relationship without a few potholes? So now what?

Well it happened. I have approached design with caution in the past. As well as my color choices. And always asked myself these questions:
  • How would another person perceive this?
  • Can I repeat it to create a tutorial? 
  • Do I want to repeat it?

Answers:
  • I don't care (which is such a step forward for me)
  • Maybe.
  • Hell yes because I am having so much fun!




I have honestly always wanted to try a green and gold color palette and I have to say I really like this combination. I have a few more colors of gumdrops and now all I need is more tri beads and for the first time I am enjoying repeating a design.

Will this relationship go even further? Will babies (tutorials) come from this design? What will happen if another bead shows its pretty face, will it be all over. Oh the dilemmas of relationships. I think I will enjoy where this relationship is for the moment.

4 comments :

  1. Ha ha. Good story. Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristen, I enjoyed today's post. I feel the same about the new shapes as you do. I am writing my first tutorial right now and it uses piggy's, duo's, and O's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - I love that design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! You had me smiling all the way through!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.