Friday, November 28, 2014

Freeform Friday - Fade to Black

Happy Thanksgiving to you all! 
Turkey leftovers, anyone? 

I write this from my home office, in my Pj's (still) savoring a cup of coffee. Clearly I do not subscribe to the Black Friday sale madness that takes hold of many... I may take advantage of sales today - online though, from the comfort of my home! I often go out for Small Business Saturday, stroll my town's Main Street, and support the independent businesses there. And I have a local show this Sunday - so I hope people are shopping local!


Earlier this week Sue posted about AJE members having sales. Please feel free to support your favorite small business artists and designers. And there is the Beads of Courage Charm auction too - great hand made pieces to use in your handmade gifts this holiday season. 



I make many of the gifts each year for my friends and family. That's no surprise - I'm a full time artist, its my job! But this holds true I am sure for my AJE teammates as well. Ceramic pottery, hand knit creations, baked goods, artwork... I know we are a diversely talented bunch. My sisters and I tried to go completely handmade a few years back. Easy for me... my older sister sews and embroiders. She also tried her hand at homemade body scrubs and bath salts. ( I didn't get any. She wouldn't ship them from NM to DE). My younger sister, the full time lawyer with small children? She ROCKED homemade! Baked dog biscuits, homemade vanilla extract, and the best cloth shopping bags from vintage teeshirts! Often the most memorable isn't high in price, just highly personal... 

Here is a great article that Anne of Gardanne beads shared on FB: "My anti-retail Christmas". I think I may go hit some thrift stores and antique stores this weekend for treasures to redo/embellish/rejuvenate! What kinds of hand made gifts are YOU doing this year? 

If you are shopping for supplies for a handmade Holiday - here are a few sales I noticed in my in-box: 
Caroline's NEW shop - The Artisan Bead Company - 20% code MERRYCHRISTMAS20
Artbeads.com - sale markdowns
Fusion Beads - 20% off code: TURKEY
Silver Crow Creations ( collage, ephemera, found objects) 30% code THANKS
Dakota Stones ( wholesale only) markdowns on site

THIS JUST IN: Beadfest workshops discounted! ( Santa Fe and Spring/Philly) Just use the code BLACKFRI14 when registering for any workshop and you can take:
$40 off 2-day workshops
$25 off 6-hour workshops (Why YES - I have a polymer mixed media class on the books!) 
$15 off 3- and 4-hour workshops


Have a great weekend whether you are in or out, at work or play!
Jenny


4 comments :

  1. I hate retail centres at this time of year and usually buy online but I'm trying to make most of my presents this year. It has just dawned on me that it might have been a good idea to start a bit earlier but it wouldn't be Christmas without some kind of stress would it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sales links, Jenny, and the reminder to "go small"! Now, go enjoy your coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope lots of folks support small businesses or there won't be any. We will all be buying the same junk from the big box stores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly did my part this weekend buying from fellow Indiana Artisans. I plan to make a few things this year. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.