Saturday, April 27, 2013

Do what you love…

Or maybe I should say "make" what you love. I think every artist at sometime or another gets burned out and suddenly "going to work" really does become going to work and creating loses a lot of its bliss. And I don't mean just for that one day or week… I mean when you don't want to make anything. At all.

It can happen for nearly any reason and at any time.

Yep, that was me a couple months back.

If it hasn't happened to you yet, fabulous! But don't freak out too much if and when it does.

So what did I do? Well, I did actually stop making beads for a while. And then I went back to basics and I asked myself what did I love about beadmaking? What was it that had made it so special in the past?

I've never really been one to sketch out my ideas (mainly because I'm not very skilled with a pencil! ;-), but I actually did do some sketching. And I also started long list of all the things that inspire me and all the ideas I've had in the past, but had never taken the time to try. And then I started crossing things off that list.

And even more importantly I did what was fun! I didn't take out that long list of things that needed to be made right now, instead I pulled out some polymer and just made what I felt like making. And I enjoyed it! Really enjoyed it!

And here's what's happened so far:




For me, my favorite thing has always been sculpting. And painting comes second. There's something fascinating about transforming a bland, solid color with just some layers of paint.

In my last post you saw the results of one of my "just for fun" ideas… I'd been wanting to try that technique ever since I first started working with polymer clay!

Now every week, I've scheduled out some time to explore and try new things––to really enjoy creating! And to get back to loving what I do… I'm getting there again!


Doing what we love, I think is really what makes us artists. It's what makes us unique from one another even though many of us work with the same medium or use the exact same techniques. We put a passion into our work that makes it truly our own.

Here's to happy creating and fewer burnouts!!


Have you ever gotten burned out? How did you make your comeback? Or maybe you're still working on finding your creative side again? And for those of you who really feel the happiness, what is it that you totally love to create?

18 comments :

  1. Oh I know exactly what you're saying here Rebekah...having spent months making stock for a show I found myself struggling to make anything. It wasn't helped by the fact that I fell ill immediately after the shown but at least that gave me an enforced break. I have started making again slowly but not on a big scale and instead I've taken time to make some jewellery which is where I started and which I've neglected of late. I'm also trying to work on things I wan t to do rather than feel I need to do and I think getting the balance between out own artistic choices and bread and butter work is the biggest battle but I know that if I don't make time to do what I love, ultimately I will do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, balance is so important. I was constantly saving the things I really loved doing the most for later, and then I'd never get to them at all… and that was I think, what started the burnout snowball rolling for me. Glad you're getting back to what you love doing too!

      Delete
  2. And I love those beads by the way :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love LOVE what you've been making. I'm glad you made that list and started checking it off. Maybe I should try that...usually when I get burned out making beads, then I feel like making jewelry or vise versa. Love this idea though and should try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, yes! Trade off is a great idea! For a while I had actually considered bringing in a new hobby to refresh my creativity. Jewelry making has been non-existent for me for way too long and I'd love to get back to it again. I'm going to give your idea a go and bring some jewelry making in too… now to find my beading wire and tools…

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you are getting your mojo back. I especially love the flowers you are creating now.

    When I get over-busy with all of life's demands, I end up with only enough time to make the jewelry that is on my To Do list. When I'm just making jewelry to meet deadlines, there's no joy in it. Last week I made a necklace just because I felt like it and I found myself smiling while I worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful Linda! That's the best feeling in the entire world! And I think whatever we are working on when we are happiest really turns out the better than what we create at any other time.

      Delete
  5. Oh my! I LOVE your new work! Especially the scrunched up dotted beads!

    Wonderful post.

    I have had several periods of funk like that over the course of my creative live. When this happens I turn to meditation and dreams. I record in my diary what comes to me during these states - what might be called "dream time". I also entertain whacky crazy ideas (for example, I think about living on Mars or some other crazy planet!), basically to shut down the logical left side brain "rules" and be open to what comes and pay attention, don't dismiss. Our brains are funny - sometimes our logical left brain gets in the way. And for me, it helps to counter it by nurturing and feeding the right side (creative) brain.

    One trick I have to get me back in studio mode: sketch or make ONE thing a day - however silly or awful it might be. Don't worry about that, just do it without thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I agree––committing to doing just one thing a day does really help… and so does day dreaming! :-)

      Delete
  6. Your blue flower beads are beautiful! It is good to take time and smell the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is! And tomorrow, rain permitting, I plan to do just that… I'll be out enjoying the new spring green hiking in the woods!

      Delete
  7. I did stop making jewelry for a while back in 2011 when my mom was diagnosed with cancer, and again for several weeks this year when I was experiencing heart problems. With both times I knew when it was time to get back to the bead table but I felt a disconnect and had to force myself to make something--anything.

    Your beads are just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That disconnect is probably the hardest part of burnout to overcome. I so know what you mean! Family and health issues definitely can bring a stop to creativity… worry and sadness are so overwhelming and always block my creative side. For me the last straw was when my little dog Pepper passed away in December, it was then that I knew I had to pull back for a while. I am so glad to be back at it now and once again find it invigorating… and also healing.

      I wish you all the best with you jewelry making!

      Delete
  8. I'm going through a bit of a spell right now, my mom recently passed away and some other stressful things happening since and I'm really struggling. When I finally do sit down and create it's not too bad but getting myself to do it is really rough. I have a show next weekend and feel real pressure to get back in it but my brain has other idea. Love what you created, you always come up with such wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry Kristi! I really feel for you… don't feel bad if you have to stop for a while. I believe art is a part of our hearts and when we are enduring heartbreak sometimes it's impossible to be creative. Take care of yourself and take some time for your heart to heal.

      Delete
  9. I hope you have some left because I want!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's good to know and I kind of know how you feel. I've been making glass beads for just over a year now and felt compulsively obsessed with torching any minute I could. Only recently have a felt the need to step back a little and go back to making more jewellery which is why I started lampworking in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the looks of it, it seems to be working for you! Your bead soup creations are gorgeous! I haven't seen your bead shop before… I'm off to check it out now!

      Delete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.