Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Playing with Resin

Since my ceramic bead-making mojo went on an extended vacation many months ago, I've been playing in other mediums.  This time I wanted to dabble with resin again.  It's been a couple years since I've really experimented with it so I ordered up some Ice Resin (my personal favorite brand) and got to work.


Setting up
When working with resin, make sure you work on a disposable surface.  This can get messy!  I like to work on top of a garbage bag.  Don't forget proper ventilation either!

I also suggest setting out all the colors/glitters/embellishments BEFORE you pour and mix your resin.  You have a limited amount of time to work with resin so decide what you want to do with it beforehand.  

Glitter and oil paints
I decided to play with oil paints and various glitters for my first batch.  There are so many glitters on the market and such a huge range of paint colors that the combinations are endless!

First batch and fail
My first batch was a bit of a mess. I didn't stir the paints in all the way and I clumped too much glitter into the resin.  I let these set for a day, popped them out and disposed of them.

Multi-layered cabochons
One of the neat things about resin is that you can layer it.  For the pieces above, I poured a clear layer first and added some seashells and brass charms.  After that layer cured, I pour another layer with two different colors for the shell cabochon and mica flakes for the key cabochon.  A third layer was added the following day with glitter and clear resin.

Resin cabochons
I'm really happy with how many of the cabochons turned out.  They still need to be wet sanded and filed.  I can see using resin cabochons with my bead embroidery.  They can also be drilled and turned into pendants.  I currently have a sanding station set up and another batch of pieces curing in the molds.

If you'd like to try resin, here are some great resources:

2 comments :

  1. I love these. I have been wanting to try resin but keep putting it off. Maybe I'll get my courage up soon.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.