Monday, February 1, 2016

"Out of the Archives and Into The Gallery"

This past summer, while I was taking my summer intensive class with JC Herrell, the Pittsburgh Glass Center had an exhibit going on, entitled "Out of the Archives and Into the Gallery".  They invited 17 glass artists to go behind the scenes at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History here in Pittsburgh, to find ancient pieces of glass that inspired them to make something new.  I thought I'd share some of the photos with you that I managed to take.

Mike Mangiafico

Mike Mangiafico (from whom I have taken some glass classes!) chose these roman glass face murrini beads as his inspiration for the pieces below.

 Mike's interpretation in jewelry!




Gillian Preston

I don't know Gillian but I was impressed by her interpretation of a blown glass pig vessel!



To me, her piece almost looks like ceramic - I really love the finish and still marvel that it's blown glass!

John Sharvin

Again, I don't know John either, but was really impressed by his interpretation of the Janus Flasks and the detail in the faces, as well as the ancient look he gave to them.



Travis Rohrbaugh

And, finally, I don't know Travis, but loved his interpretation of this awesome Egyptian vessel.




Certainly, there were other works in the gallery, but just picked a few to show you.  I consider myself lucky to have the Pittsburgh Glass Center in my backyard!  In about two weeks, another exhibit is coming to the Glass Center, the exhibit "Lifeforms 2016".  

I will be attending that exhibit and will be reporting to you on it as well!!!

And now, just for fun...



No comments :

Post a Comment

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.