Monday, February 8, 2016

Birgitta Lejonklou - A Tribute

Birgitta Lejonklou
All of us here at Art Jewelry elements were very saddened to hear of the recent passing of fellow artist Birgitta Lejonklou and we know that many of our readers will be feeling the same way. Birgitta was a lovely and very talented lady who took an active role in this community of ours and inspired  many of us to create beautiful jewelry and indeed beads. Today we would like to pay our own small tribute to Birgitta by sharing just a few of those designs...


"I was not familiar with Birgitta's work until about 1.5 years ago when I accidentally and fortuitously stumbled across the ceramic focal in the photo below. My mom collects dragonflies so I'm always on the lookout for something unusual that she might like. I had never seen a dragonfly portrayed in such an ethereal dreamlike manner. I immediately purchased it and created this necklace for my mom's birthday in December of 2014. The clasp, which is difficult to see in the photo, is sterling silver with a moonstone. It was the perfect complement to Birgitta's dreaming girl."
Jen

Necklace by Jennifer Cameron

"I only knew Birgitta through her work - yet felt that we shared a language. A language of clay, of symbolism...angels ad fairies, nature and spirit. I am grateful for the online communities of ceramic artists and bead artists that connect us and enable us to 'meet' and share, to create and inspire. Birgitta was an inspiration to me.

The piece I have made as I am attempting to get back in metal-smithing has it's flaws... Those flaws remind me to take a leap, to try, to make mistakes and learn from them. I plan to keep this piece for myself and remember..."
Jenny

Pendant/work in progress by Jenny Davies-Reazor

"When I first came across Birgitta's work I immediately fell in love with her organic, naturalistic style and was captivated by the serene, spiritual sense that her pieces evoke - I will struggle to part with those I own. I don't think I know of anyone who has captured their creative spirit as profoundly as Birgitta did in naming her business 'Angel Whisperer' ".
Lesley

Necklace by Lesley Watt

'Mother Earth' by Yukka Bloom
'Giver of Life' Bracelet by Yay! Jewelry
Celtic Cross by Soleroku
And of course it wasn't just about the beads as Birgitta was also a very talented jewellery designer in her own right...

Birgitta Lejonklou
Birgitta Lejonklou
Our thoughts are with Birgitta's family and friends at this sad time. She will be greatly missed in this artistic world we were lucky enough to share with her but her memory will live on through her work. Rest in peace Birgitta.

The AJE team.
Jennifer Cameron, Lesley Watt, Jenny Davies-Reazor, Caroline Dewison, Niky Sayers, Diana Ptaszynski, Sue Kennedy, Karen Totten, Lindsay Starr, Kristen Stevens

9 comments :

  1. So very sad, her work was beautiful and I treasure her pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing such a touching piece, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful tribute, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know of her, but I am saddened just the same. I greatly attracted to her work...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This jewelry is absolutely beautiful! I love how unique and detailed it is! Hopefully someday I will be able to make something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a lovely and fitting tribute for one who will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow. What a loss to the her family and to the world. I first ran across her work a couple years ago and was always planning on picking some of her focals up. It was always a 'someday'. Teach me not to turn it into a 'today'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just seeing this now. I was unaware of Birgittas passing. I am so very sorry to hear this! I was close friends with her. We have all lost a very special woman of a Mother, artisan and friend!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.