Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wondering Wednesday

Yep I finally came up with a temporary title for my Wednesday posts. I was thinking the other day while drifting through facebook in a stomach bug induced haze what is it that draws me to artists. Yes I am a seed beader and I love all that seed beaders create (generally) and I have my favorite artist and icons but I am also very drawn to other artists way outside my medium. I see so many artists that use wire, fiber, and other stringing materials that just defy my ability's and yet they speak volumes to me.

I am drawn not only to this amazing group of artists on this blog, but others as well. Here are just a couple and believe me it was hard to narrow it down to just a couple because I want you all to introduce me to your favorites.

 

Shannon's metal and how she uses it sends my thoughts wandering to ocean breezes.



Staci's use of fiber, rock and metal just amazes me. 


So I was thinking of making this a bit of an interactive post.  Are others drawn to artists outside your own medium?  Why are you drawn to them and what makes them so special to you?  I can not wait to see what you  introduce me to.

 
Kristen

11 comments :

  1. This is wonderful. Thank you, I feel the same about you.

    This is going to sound crazy, but I still use the scrap booking industry to inspire my own work. There is the mainstream (major brand names that are able to market to millions of people) and the underground artists who use recycled items and developed skill with natural talent to create works of memory art. These works move me as much as a Van Gogh. Early works from Ashley Calder and Lynne Perrella still direct color choices I made just yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome Shannon! I never even thought about that far out of your medium but I can see how they inspire you.

      Delete
  2. Thats a tough question. Considering myself mixed media - there are so many artists IN my medium, or a medium that I employ. Hard to think outside the box on this one. Symbols and icons are my biggest inspiration - usually from myth and world culture. The raven - trickster in NA myth, wise and far seeing in Norse myth. Dryads, mermaids - embodiments of nature...

    Robert Dancik and Keith LoBue are mentors and inspirations in the mixed media/jewelry/wearable sculpture field. And I count myself lucky to have worked with them both...

    Art Nouveau everything is a very inspirational style to me. From architecture, to graphics, to furniture, and of course jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew this question would be a tough one for some but I love knowing where your inspiration comes from and what forms of art you are drawn to.

      Delete
    2. Oh I could totally Art History geek out on you... maybe ideas for other posts of mine. Hmm.

      Delete
    3. Yes yes yes go art geek on me!!!

      Delete
  3. This is an easy one for me, Kristen: Fashionadictas.blogspot (fashion addicts) by Spanish blogger Marcela. Her pairings of haute couture with classic and current art/photography are always inspiring, even though I am not a follower or fan of either, and since I don't read Spanish very well I often depend on Google translator! It is a vivid illustration to me of the power of images, colour and form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristen,
    I have not thought much about this or about different artists. I just know what I like and for me that is glass and metal. I am totally in awe of those that can create beauty with those elements. Whether it is from the small bead to a massive sculpture I am just mesmerized by those two elements.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also drawn to metal and glass and I will have to add clay to that too.

      Delete
  5. Yes!!! And since my friend Kristen has introduced me to some amazing artisan bead makers, I have lots of new loves now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I'm mostly a stringer I have a whole lot of people from other mediums that I admire like Barbara Lewis with torch fired enamel, Erin Prais-Hintz with polymer, and so many more.

    I'm not sure if this counts, but lately I've been enamoured with food blogs. Not sure if that counts, but I've been spending a lot of time learning about healthy food, whole foods, and just plain old lip-smakin' food whether it is healthy or not. I've compiled a ton of recipes to save in binders and can't wait to get started making them for my family.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.