Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Jellyfish Earring Tutorial

Over at Earrings Everyday, they have a monthly Inspired By Challenge.  June's challenge was Tide Pools!  I was all over that!  You can see my post here on my blog. Here's what I made:

I thought I'd post a tutorial for these earrings.  They were a little fiddly, but fun to make.

Supplies you need:


  • 2 Lampwork Disc Beads
  • 6 Enameled Head Pins
  • 2 Ear Wires
  • 2 Jump Rings
  • 4 Daisy Spacer Beads
 Tools you need:

  • 2 Sets of Chain Nose Pliers
  • Wire Cutters
  • Round Nose Pliers

First, twist your headpin around the round nose pliers to make what would resemble a tentacle! You'll have three lengths, one short, one medium and one longer. 

This is what it looks like after you twist it a couple of times.  Make sure you make the end at a 90 degree angle - this will help when you put the daisy spacer bead on the wires.
Do the second short headpin in the same way, and compare them to make sure they are relatively the same.
Finish all the headpins, making sure that the pairs are about equal in size.

Next, you'll start putting the headpins in the opening of the daisy spacer.  This is where it might get a little fiddly.

Just work the headpins through the hole and make sure the daisy spacer will stay and not slip through the headpins.  You'll just have to work through this a little!
Then add your disc bead and the second daisy spacer.  You can adjust the tentacles after you finish your wrapped loop.
 Take all three wires in the chain nose plier, and make a 90 degree angle with them.

 Then take your round nose pliers and make your wrapped loop.


When you're done with the wrapped loop, use your wire cutter to cut the excess wire as closely as you can.  You may need to use your chain nose pliers to push the wires in, and make sure there are no sharp ends sticking out.

When you are satisfied with your wrapped loop, and you adjust your tentacles to look the way you like them, add the jump ring and ear wire to the loop.


And there you have your finished earring.  Make the other one, and you have a pair!  These don't have to be earrings either, you can make one and use it as a pendant on a cool ocean themed necklace!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!  You can find disc beads and enameled headpins in my SueBeads etsy store right now!

Susan Kennedy

10 comments :

  1. These look so fun, will try them out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! The blue pair matches my new jellyfish necklace that I just listed. We must be on the same crazy wave length.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I love them! I am a friend of jellyfish anyhow and these are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're a friend - my daughter got a pretty bad sting so can't say I am!!!!

      Delete
  4. I especially love the enameled tentacles. These are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.