Friday, July 17, 2015

From Scotland to Bead Fest: mermaid medleys

Did I grab your attention with that title? Come on a mixed media journey - I will explain...


Earlier this year, my friends Sarah Dressler ( of Toadstools and Treestump artist dolls) and her family went to the UK. Sadly there were ashes to scatter, but also family to visit and adventures to be had. One pivotal stop was at The Ha'en. (Ethie Haven, north of Arbroath on the East Coast of Scotland). Sarah’s maternal grandfather purchased a cottage in the early days of this century. Originally fisherman's cottages, they have been shared and passed down to family members to this day.
Ethie Haven, Scotland aka the Ha'en. 
Naturally Sarah and her daughter Emma (my fabulous, talented teacher's aide) did some beach combing. I was struck by the delicate beauty of their dainty treasures; which they graciously offered to share with me. The idea to encapsulate memories, to create a talisman for them was instantaneous. Here is what I created:
Mother and daughter "Memory medleys" contain shells, sea glass, coral chips, pebbles... from the beach at the Ha'en. 
The tiny bits of sea pebble, beach glass, coral, shell are cast into a resin cabochon. The outer shell was a beach combing find as well, and I knew I wanted the wee pieces to peek through the ring of shell. The pairing is tab set for strength, security, and to provide a bright reflective backing - highlighting the treasures.

This medley of sorts, a mermaids treasure, a selkie's collection - the idea took hold of me... I can't walk the Delaware beaches without at least one pebble or shell. The ocean gives me a small token each trip. I have ocean treasures in many spots around my studio, AND I recently went to the Sea Shell City shop in Fenwick DE with this idea in mind.
Treasure on my "water" shelf; purchased materials and found treasures. 
These are the first pieces. They are a bit yellow as I was using older resin, and that doesn't bother me. A bit of a golden glow... They are easy to do, yet very time consuming as each involves 2-3 resin pours. Items are added in layers to control floating... and sinking!
Mermaid medley resin cab prototypes. 
These would be perfect for tab setting. For bead embroidery. They could be drilled. I plan to do 4 different things to these four. Oh so many possibilities! 

And I am making a batch for Bead Fest - please! Chime in now! How would you like to see them? What format works for you? Cabs? Drilled? Already tab set? Id love to hear your thoughts!

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower. Hold infinity in the palms of your hand and eternity in an hour.     William Blake






15 comments :

  1. I am, and always have been a treasure hunter along the ocean beaches, mostly around Vancouver Island and some of the Gulf Islands. These resin creations are so gorgeous and I need to get busy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I dream of visiting the PNW beaches....

      Delete
  2. These are absolutely gorgeous! I'm not going to Beadfest but wondered if you have any of the tab set pendants available? (lecarling@verizon.net)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interest Lynn! Ill keep you posted.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love these. I so want to go to the beach, maybe in August. The beaches in the PNW are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is so lovely i am compelled to write. The photos, the cabs and the poetry quotes. Just lovely. <3
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patty - we love it when people write!

      Delete
  5. Ohh Jenny! These took my breath away. What a wonderful idea. Like you I don't mind the golden hue to the resin. I've been thinking lately of playing with it a bit and now you've given me renewed inspiration!

    Tab set seems like the best way to show off the cabochons. Too bad I won't be in the US to be at Beadfest.

    Have fun!
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mona - thank you! Are you a metals person or a seed beader? I am both - LOL. I hope to have some to list in September, so please stay tuned!

      Delete
  6. I want to go to the cottage in Scotland! Jealous. I adore what you made for them, such a special treasure and memory of their trip. As for format, I don't really use cabs, but should maybe reconsider...

    ReplyDelete
  7. These resin cabochons are stunning! Perhaps create wire wrapped pendants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria - I dont wire wrap stones much - Im sure a wire wrapper could do wonders!

      Delete
  8. Such a lovely post and I LOVE what you did with your treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are beautiful for sure and the "glow" just adds to their beauty. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, these are really beautiful! They have a bit of a Victorian look to them - they could be relics from the past. Such a great way to capture and enjoy little beach treasures! -- Julie

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.