Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th... and My Evil Eye...


Beaded 4th of July Wreath

First up - Happy 4th of July to all our American readers - Ironic that as the only Brit on the team I'm the one posting today but I'm happy to hold the fort while the rest of the team celebrate. I hope you all have a lovely day.

The inspiration for today's post comes from a rather unusual source - my own face or, to be precise the image that greeted me when I looked in the mirror on Monday morning (apologies in advance to anyone of a squeamish disposition)...


This is a subconjunctival haemorrhage, or burst blood vessel, it's very common and is not painful but as you can see, it's not particularly attractive and immediately brought on references to the 'Evil Eye'.

The concept if the evil eye - the ability to cause bad luck or harm to a person with an ill-wishing look spans many cultures  and as we all know,  eye charms are popular as a way of warding them off. Well I don't know if my ailment is the result of someone casting me a 'look' but I thought I'd have a little scout around for art beads or jewellery that might act as charms and I wasn't disappointed...

Jane Dudley Beads
 This leather bracelet  looks very much like my eye...

Leas Boutique

Jeans Beads

Glass Enamel By Julie

Bead Up A Storm
This last one is a necklace I made myself with silver clay and a handmade Cabachon by Julie Fountain  of Lush Lampwork which I didn't intent to represent an eye but the first reaction of many people was that it did. I think maybe I'll wear it for a while just in case...




Hopefully, none of you are in need of protective charms but it's good to know there are some beautifully creative handmade examples out there if you do and, if you've created any evil eye pieces yourself do share with us - we'd love to see them.

Lesley
The Gossiping Goddess





3 comments :

  1. So sorry about your eye. Glad to hear it is not painful. Thank you for the feature and happy 4th of July to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your eye is better soon, Lesley. I love those beads! I wonder if you would like to share this short video by UK PC artist Aniko of Mandarin Ducky, a fun low-tech method for making your own glass eyes:

    http://youtu.be/OgP6IFT137k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my....I am so sorry about your eye! Hope it better soon! All designs here are beautiful...love how you captured that cabochon!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.