Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Book Review: Stylish Jewelry Your Way

The newest book release by Kalmbach Publishing is actually a collection of projects that have already appeared in the pages of Bead Style, Bead & Button, and Art Jewelry magazines. This explains the wide range of styles and techniques presented in this book.

To present an organized, cohesive book, the different projects have been divided into five chapters/categories: Romantic Allure, Tailored Classic, Urban Edge, Bohemian Beauty, and Modern Art.

When I did a quick thumb through of the book when it first arrived, I was kind of disappointed in the content...many of the designs I opened to were not really my taste or used techniques I was interested in doing. However, when I took the time to take a closer look, I began to appreciate it more.

The book contains 32 projects. Many of them provide suggestions on how to alter the design to make it more your style or easier on the bead budget, or to make matching earrings.

One of the things I don't like about buying books online is you don't get to see more than a couple of the designs contained in the book. Because I think you all are pretty wonderful, I took quick photos of a variety of projects so you can see some of what you get.

Design by Toni Taylor from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
Beginner bead stitching with sparkly beads. 


Design by Linda Augsburg from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
Wire work using a lampwork focal bead.


Design by Naomi Fujimoto from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
The center flower could easily be replaced with your own fabricated stack of discs or a gorgeous  ceramic shank button.


Design by Jill Erickson from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
This project teaches you how to make your own double sided metal clay charms for earrings. 


Design by Kris Silva from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
Gorgeous wire weaving, can be used on lots of different styles of art beads if gemstones aren't your thing. 


Design by Anna Elizabeth Draeger from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
Great project for leftover bits of chain. 


Design by Theresa Abelew from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
The book even has a chainmaille project. 


Design by Anna Elizabeth Draeger from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
Gorgeous cuff


Design by Kim St. Jean from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
You can use some metal working and wire working skills with this project. 


Design by Julia Gerlach from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
Stunning big hole beaded beads. I REALLY want to try these. 


Design by Irina Miech from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
Another project that instructs the reader on making metal clay charms. 


Design by Susan Lenart Kazmer from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
2 sided resin pendants. 



Design by Tea Benduhn from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
Some free form bead embroidery. 


Design by Jane Danley Cruz from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
Select a favorite focal and make a Russian spiral chain. 


Design by Sheryl Yanagi from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
How to make image transfers onto polymer clay and then do a seed bead bezel. 


Design by Jane Konkel from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
Gorgeous architectural necklace


Design Sherri Haab from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
Playing with resin to make bangles


Design by Lori Wilkes from the book Stylish Jewelry Your Way.
Polymer clay brooch. This one almost makes me want to play with PC. But mostly because I adore the texture. 


In addition to instructions and materials lists, each project tells you which skills you might need to review. And by review, I mean watch on the included bonus instructional DVD.

DVD Contents: crimping, crimp cover, opening/closing jump rings, plain loops, wrapped loops, making ear wires, making S hook clasps, ending and adding thread, overhand, square and surgeon knots, ladder stitch, flat herringbone stitch, flat peyote stitch, joining ends of peyote, tubular peyote stitch, flat right angle weave, using liver of sulfur to patina, balling the end of wire with a butane torch, using a disc cutter, conditioning polymer clay, rolling, cutting, texturing, and torch firing metal clay, filling a butane torch, and using resin.

By no means is the DVD comprehensive, but it includes basics that will help you master any of the projects you want to learn.

Have any newly released books you think are pretty fab and want to share? Click the comment button to let us know to tell us what they are.

-Jen Cameron
Glass Addictions

6 comments :

  1. Lots of interesting ideas here. I don't do anything with seeds, they scare me. And I can't see them! But I am going through my books to find things that inspire me and so far they are all metal based. Right now loving Metal in Bloom by Melissa Cable. Going to explore that further. And since I just bought my first real torch last night, I am going to pick up Melissa Manley's Jewelry Lab with a new project a week. Hoping to make metal my Muse for 2014!
    Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. There does look like there are some good projects in there, certainly beautiful. I'm with Erin, can't do seed beads. They sure are cool looking when they are done! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some interesting projects there, thanks for the peek. I've noticed a lot more seed beads/bead weaving in magazines and books lately and my old eyes cannot deal with them, but wire is also making a comeback and I see at least one wire project. I appreciate the look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really helpful review! I appreciate your thorough listing of projects, and especially your candid opinion about the strengths/weaknesses of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is at least one new technique I want to explore! Trip to our library to investigate further.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.