You will need:
- One pair of decorative head pins with at least 5.5cm stems. Stems of 0.8mm wire are best as this thickness holds its shape well but still makes comfortable ear wires.
- Beads to decorate the stem.
- A crimp bead or squashable metal seed bead
- Round pen barrel
- Wire cutters
- Crimping pliers or flat nosed pliers
- Needle file or nail file
- Hammer and bench block
How to make them:
- Thread the beads onto the head pins, finishing with the crimp bead or squashable seed bead.
- Squash the crimp/seed bead it hold the larger beads in place.
- Hold the head pins up against each other to check that they are the same length and trim if necessary.
- File the ends of the wire smooth.
- Bend the wires around the pen barrel to form an ear wire shape.
- Hammer the front of the ear wires (being careful of the beads!) to strengthen them.
- Enjoy wearing your new earrings!
To give you some more inspiration I've put together an Etsy treasury of lovely fancy head pins, including a few from the AJE team.
A collection of beautiful handcrafted head pins, perfect for earrings and charms!
Sponsored by send bulk email from excel.
This is actually my last post as a member of the AJE blog team. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on the team, and working with such a lovely, encouraging and talented group of women who are just as addicted to jewellery making as I am. However, my life, both personal and business, are moving at a crazy pace at the moment and a couple of things have had to give to allow me to keep up with everything. I will still be around lurking and commenting, and of course on my own blog, but thank you to everyone who has read and commented on one of my AJE posts!