Sunday, January 13, 2013

January Gems

As it's my birthday this month I thought you might like to join me for a bit of a Sunday stroll through some birth month inspired eye candy. My birth stone is the Garnet and I love it. Although it can be found in many colours it is the rich, dark red garnet that grabs my attention rather like a glass of full bodied new world Malbec wine...another favourite of mine. Look at these for example - what's not to love...


Depending on where you were born, January also has two flowers associated with it - If you are from the UK it's the Carnation and if you're from the US it's the Snowdrop. I have to say my preference would be for the snowdrop - the tough little cookie that poke it's head up and stands, well not very tall actually but it stands none-the-less in the most inhospitable conditions. There's also something about the contrast of the white with the blood read of the Garnet - must be a Snow White thing. There's nothing wrong with carnations of course and if you want a palette of pinks to choose from they'll offer you the widest spectrum.

These flowers are said to signify affection, deep love, distinction, happiness, fascination, pride, beauty, purity, and loyalty. In the 1800's Tiffany's published a poem by an unknown author which included the following...

By her who in this month (January) is born
No gem save garnets should be worn;
They will ensure her constancy,
True friendship, and fidelity.
 
Well I guess they didn't have social media for marketing jewellery back then...

I had a little wander through  the AJE teams shops to see if they had anything suitable for a January birthday girl and of course they rose to the occasion...
Bracelet by Melissa Mehman,
Beads by Suebeads
Garnet Earrings by Jo Tinley,
Earrings by Linda Landig
Earrings by Francesca Watson
Ceramic charms by Jenny Davies-Reazor,
Patinated bronze pendant by moi
Wooly Wire by Spin Culture















If I were lucky enough to receive any of these for my birthday I'd be more than happy.

But just in case I've whetted your appetite for more I've made an Etsy companion treasury to this post with lots of beautiful jewellery and elements that evoke the essence of January symbolism - just click on the picture to see more. If you'd like to find out more about Garnets and see how they've been used in ancient jewellery then check out this post by Jenny Davies-Reazor too.



Lesley
The Gossiping Goddess











7 comments :

  1. While January is not my birthday month, I have ALWAYS had an affection for Garnets! Such beautiful pics in this post, Lesley! And I always love an educational post where I am bound to learn something! Happy Birthday month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore garnets too even though I'm not a red person. Great selections and interesting info. Happy birth month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garnet is my son's birth stone. Not that he cares! I on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Garnet - and use red a lot in my designs. Great blog post and some fabulous shops to check out - double bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, I love garnet as well! Thanks for including my bracelet! I love all these beautiful pieces! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW so much information!!!! I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!! Thanks for including my earrings. :-)

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.