Friday, October 19, 2012

Freeform Friday: Dia de los Muertos

Dia de los Muertos in Old Town San Diego. Ofrenda altar, paper mache calavera, ceramic Muertos figurine, papel picado. (Images - Jenny Davies-Reazor)
I have always been drawn to the Dia de Los Muertos. I have lived in a city where it is celebrated exuberantly; I have taught it as an art/culture project. At this time of year, I set up altars in my home to remember the loved ones that are no longer with me... I think acknowledging death is healthy - as this holiday strives to recognize death as a part of life - to be respected, honored, but not avoided or made taboo. In Mexico and many other locations near and far, families gather. Graves are weeded and decorated. Altars arranged with photos and favorite foods of the departed. And through stories, jokes, symbols and memories - the departed are with the living once again. 

Sugar skulls are an iconic item created, decorated, gifted, and offered at this time of year. Traditionally covered in colorful patterns of icing, colored foils, and even rhinestones - they can get extremely elaborate! Skulls, or calaveras such as these pictured here were my inspiration this week. 
Sugar skulls. 

The original sculpting...
The first batch I created was in porcelain... and I have impressed designs and patterns into the clay. Loops are also embedded for stringing, etc. I have not applied the clear glaze and fired them for the second glaze firing yet...

The second batch (shown below) is polymer. I wanted to build patterns up - which I can do with porcelain of course... but I wanted to stick things in! That inherent difference between the clays has piqued my renewed interest in polymer of late.

Floral and impressed designs
A plethora of pretties. Glass beads and gems embedded in polymer. 



I regret to say there is no completed reveal as of yet. Dia de los Muertos isn't until November 1st! I have a little time. But if you feel the need to shop for sugar skull inspired pretties - let me tempt your palette with these sweet offerings from fellow artist/jewelers/component makers: 
I hope you have enjoyed this festive, colorful post. Were you familiar with the Day of the Dead? Enjoy the season as leaves turn and the air feels crisp... and I leave you with one more stunning beauty...
Ceramic "Catrina" Calavera. Image: Linda Landig
These dazzling detailed sculptures depict a female skeleton known as "Catrina" named after the famous zinc etching by Jose Posada in 1910.
"La Calavera Catrina" print by Jose Posada. 


12 comments :

  1. Love all the skulls, I'm bummed I did not even think to make this sort of thing for the season this year. Next year for sure. Look forward to seeing your finished pieces, they look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am going to try and get them finished today... I have a big show Nov. 9-11 so if they arent listed for Halloween I have a back up plan...

      Delete
  2. Oh now I totally need some sugar skulls!!! What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some great tuts out there on making your own. I have molds - but look at this site: mexicansugarskull (dot) com.

      Delete
  3. I've always found this tradition fascinating. The artistry is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what this holiday represents as well. I also think I NEED one of YOUR sugar skulls. wink wink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On my home altar I try and represent my Grand parents and my pets... Going to have skulls at FaerieCon for sure!

      Delete
  5. Love sugar skulls...yours are going to be amazing!! Can't wait to see them finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sugar skulls are so elaborated! Loved your colorful post. Personally I wasn't familiar with these celebrations until about 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Jenny - not well known over here so good to learn more...and love the skulls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your sugar skulls :) over the past year, i have developed a slight obsession with them, so i love this post. your pictures are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tradition is a really neat one, but one I've never considered participating in before. I adore sugar skulls, but have never attempted to make one. I do love the ones Anne Choi does in silver and bronze http://annechoi.com/cgi-bin/get-catalog.pl

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.