Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Glass Headpin Earrings!

Glass Headpins are so much fun, and can be awesome stash busters to make quick, easy and inexpensive earrings!  I have been making glass headpins on 20 gauge copper wire so you can use the length of the wire as ear wire, too, making them even more economical! I typically make the copper wire part on my headpins 4 inches long for lots of versatility. Today I thought I'd show you a few earring designs to spark your creativity!



These are the glass heapins I decided to work with.  First, I pulled out my czech glass bead bin, my copper bead bin and my brass bead bin.  But then, as you can well imagine, I had to pull my blue stone bead bin, my seed bead bins, etc. etc! So here's what I made with the glass headpins!


For this first set, I used two titanium hematite rounds that I had purchased at Bead Fest in Philadelphia and two czech glass rondelles - the glass rondelles really match well with the colors in the headpins.

For this second pair, I used two copper beads I had leftover from a previous project, as well as two faceted beads leftover from Andrew Thornton's Amethyst Aether challenge, and two size 11 matte turquoise seed beads.

Finally, for the third pair, I used size 8 matte mustard green seed beads, copper heishe beads leftover from a Bead Soup swap, and two gorgeous rounds I purchased from a bead show here in Pittsburgh,  I'm not really sure which are my favorite, but these might be!

You can always make the ear wire integral to the design, but since I'm allergic to copper in my ears, I will use either sterling silver or gold filled.

You can also make mis-matched earrings using some of the trio headpins I have available.


So, that's just one way to use glass headpins!  Thanks for checking out my designs!

Susan Kennedy
SueBeads Etsy Store
SueBeads Web Site
SueBeads Blog

3 comments :

  1. They are all sooo pretty Sue! Ok, I have to admit..I am totally scared when it comes to using beautiful headpins such as these..I'm terrified I will 'botch the wrap' and ruin the entire artisan pin! I've practiced and practiced on scraps wire..and still I fret! Any suggestions? I have some beautiful headpins from wonderful Artisans as well as some vintage pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome! But I'm with Carol - I get so worried I'm going to ruin the headpin that I tend not to go this route. These are pretty inspiring, though - I might have to force myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Headpins make me want to figure out how to use Headpins!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.