Monday, May 11, 2015

Creating for Cosplay

It's no secret.  I love cosplay.  This weekend I'll be heading out to The Steampunk World's Fair for three days of creative cosplay fun!  I don't sew but I do enjoy making the jewelry for my costumes.  For this years SPWF, I've made the jewelry for two of my three outfits.
Necklace for the butterfly collector cosplay
I've been hanging on to this fabulous metal and resin butterfly pendant by Lynn Davis for several years.  Well, I'm bringing back and revamping my butterfly collector costume this year so I finally had the inspiration to work with this piece.  I added some citrine, coral, carnelian and Vintaj charms and chain to complete this necklace.  It will also look great paired with the leather butterfly cuff that Lindsay posted about yesterday!
Fit for a mermaid
The other outfit I needed jewelry for was my ocean/mermaid-inspired steampunk cosplay.  
Fabulous enamel focal by Gardanne Beads
I knew when I saw this enameled seashell in Anne's booth that I had to have it.  It matched portions of my costume perfectly!  I paired it with some porcelain Suburban Girl seashell charms, Swarovski pearls, faux coral branches and aquamarine rondelles.  

In addition to using art beads for my cosplay, I also like to spread the love by introducing art beads to people who might not know about them.  In 2013, I started hosting the trinket swap at SPWF.  Participants create steampunk-inspired wearable trinkets that we swap with one another.  The first year I created wearable porcelain gears.  Last year I made stoneware keyhole pendants.
Stoneware Keyhole Pendants
This year I decided that mustaches would be my theme.  
Porcelain greenware mustache charms
I found a 3-D printing service and had them create some mustache cutters in an assortment of sizes.  I thought the tiny size was the best fit for my trinkets so I made about 25 in porcelain.

Glazed but un-fired porcelain mustaches
These charms were glazed but un-fired at the time I wrote this post but I should be unloading them from the kiln sometime today.  After I inspect them, I'll add a jump ring and put them on a ball chain.  

I'm looking forward to swapping them on Saturday AND to introducing more people to the wonderful world of art beads!

Happy Beading!

8 comments :

  1. Very cool - love the butterfly necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome! Can you tell me some more about the 3D moustash cutters you got made? I work in PMC and getting my own cutters made would be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie! Check out "Plastics in Print" on Etsy! https://www.etsy.com/shop/PlasticsinPrint

      Delete
    2. Fantastic, looks perfect for some of the ideas i have in mind. Thanks so much for getting back so quickly.

      Delete
  3. Very cool pieces! Loving the butterfly and the mustaches are very cool. The tiny ones would be great for earrings. I would also like to know about getting cutters made for poly clay and metal clay. I love cosplay and wish I were young enough to do shows. It would be a blast! I've been dabbling with men's cosplay and having a blast! Hard to sell just online without doing shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out "Plastics in Print" on Etsy! https://www.etsy.com/shop/PlasticsinPrint

      Delete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.