Friday, May 30, 2014

Freeform Friday: ovals, rings, links... Oh my!


So there has definitely been a theme here on the blog...  Many of us hear the clock ticking down to Beadfest. I know, its months away... but clay takes time! I was back in the studio yesterday after a hiatus that involved shows, travel, and a bit of vacation... I have two weeks until I start teaching summer classes and then the days REALLY fly by. I need to make them count.

Today - white stoneware. 

Stamped and textured. 

circles cut... 
Centers cut... 

Diverse piercings. You never know what the shape and configuration might inspire... 

I decided to save the center piercings and make tiny charms. Perfect for earrings.
I may loathe glazing them, but for now it seemed like a great idea. 
 So I made a huge pile of pieces: approximately 200 because I counted over 100 little tiny charms! Seems fast? Sure - but there is SO much to do to each piece before we get close to "finished". 

Sponge, sand. Dry. Bisque fire. Glaze and stain. Glaze fire... Its going to be weeks until all the stages in the process are complete! ( For more information on the kiln and ^10 reduction firing - see this previous post. ) 

When I first made these large ovals and links, it was on a whim, test them out and see how they were received. I did some in high fired stoneware ( ^10) - very earthy, rustic. I did others in my low fired earthenware with a diverse, more colorful palette. 

Stoneware on left. Earthenware on right. 

This is what I imagined their future to be when I created them: 


Hi fire stoneware oval pendant by Staci Louise Originals. 

Low fire earthenware pendant. Also by Staci Louise Originals.  Smaller charm by Barbara Bechtel/Second Surf. 
 This happened at the Bead Soup Blog Party this year. I am blown away! It shows how versatile these links can be - more so than I imagined! (Thanks to Sally Russick for sending this link in her soup! )
Hi fire Stoneware as toggle, created by Rose Rushbrooke

Hi fire Stoneware as toggle, created by Rose Rushbrooke

I am still excited to see my components used in such fabulous pieces. I suppose that never gets old! I admire the creative use of the oval as a link, and the presence of the negative space as a design element. It helps me see things with fresh eyes! 

This year will be my third Beadfest exhibiting and my first teaching. While I don't want to wish the summer away - I need time! I have things to do! - I am super excited... 

Hope you have a creative weekend!
Until next time... 

Jenny

www.jdaviesreazor.com






9 comments :

  1. Great job Jenny. Thanx for sharing. I saw clasps right away, but I was thinking a wire for the toggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the rings! The designs showing them as a toggle and a link are all fabulous. I can hardly wait to see them at beadfest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make a lot, I love them and will be getting MORE! Love the bead soup piece, the texture on the clasp really stand out against the rhythm of the beadwork

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting to see the process! Such cool pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing, what beautiful designs! So glad that I will be at Bead Fest to (hopefully) purchase some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, those make me want to go to Bead Fest just so I can buy them! That bracelet is brilliant, I would wear it in a second.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazingly beautiful pieces Jenny!! I love that last bracelet from Bead Soup, so elegant!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very, very cool! I love hearing about the process from all of you. I always feel that the work I do with my glass pieces takes forever - I don't feel so bad when each of you shares the long (sometimes tedious) process of your work.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.