Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Phaedra© Craze!

After a month hiatus from AJE, I'm back!  While I was gone, I spent a lot of time exploring chainmaille.  One of the things I'm having a LOT of fun with right now is the Phaedra© tutorial.  The Phaedra© was created by Karen Snyder and it's a gorgeous design!
Photo by Karen Snyder
A sparkling crystal rivoli is the centerpiece of this chainmaille unit.

Photo by Karen Snyder
Karen has designed the tutorial to accommodate several different sizes of rivoli crystals making this perfect for earrings, pendants and components.

I purchased the tutorial from C&T Designs but it can also be purchased directly through Karen's website.  C&T carries ring packs in Argentium, silver-fill and Niobium. You can also buy bulk bright and/or anodized aluminum (which is what I did). Swarovski rivolis need to be purchased through other sites (FusionBeads and Beadware IL are a great sources for them). 

The tutorial contains a complete list of materials, lots of step-by-step photos and excellent instructions.  
10.5mm Fail and Success 
I tried the 10.5mm rivoli first.  The first attempt I came close but had a fail right at the very end.  I'm not really sure what happened but I went in for a second try and was successful! 

12mm Fail and Success 
After completing the 10.5mm I decided to try the 12mm.  The 12mm requires an extra section and was definitely a challenge.  You can see my fail on the right of the photo.  It's a bit of a tight squeeze at the end with the final unit but with the right pliers (Xuron bent nose) and some patience I made it happen!  

Completed Phaedras
I'm currently waiting on an order of rings so I can try making earrings with the 8mm rivolis.  Apparently I forgot to order 1 particular size (oops)!  

Phaedra© with Square Rings.  Photo by Karen Snyder.
I can't recommend this tutorial enough.  If you have some basic chainmaille experience you can make them.

If you decide to join the Phaedra© craze you should check out Facebook groups Chain Maille and ChainMaille Jewelry & More.  Lots of people are showing off their finished components AND the jewelry they are creating with them. 

Happy Beading!

4 comments :

  1. These are so pretty. They look like jewels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm so thrilled that you are enjoying working with Phaedra©!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG these are gorgeous!! I'm off to check out the blog! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.