Monday, September 14, 2015

Dressing your hammers!



Some time back, I promised to show you how to dress your hammers…. and then I never got around to it. Today, I’m trying something a little different by showing you the process in a video instead of trying to explain it in writing. I hope you like it!



A few notes:
  • This is my first full-length process video. I see this as something I’d like to do more of, so help me make it as effective and beneficial for you as possible! We’ll get better at sound and camera angles, but in the meantime I’d love your constructive feedback and comments.
  • A huge thank you to Letty Wilde of Silver Leaf Artisan Jewelry – Letty is one of my students, a dear friend, and my assistant in my studio one day a week. She operated the camera and warned me about “resting bitch face” more than once!
  • Please excuse the horrific state of my working space – the entire Roadhouse Arts studio and classroom area is in transition right now, and we had just gotten back from BeadFest when we shot this, so everything looks like a bomb went off.


Thanks for watching!


Until next time –


18 comments :

  1. Thanks for the video Francesca, and for addressing an issue we mostly ignore. But a request please speak louder the next time as the video is not audible, esp in the first 3 minutes. The best way to do this is to use a "mike app" on your phone. keep it on when you are talking and off when operating machinery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the suggestion, Divya - I'll do some research on the audio apps you mentioned for next time. Sorry it was hard to hear!

      Delete
  2. hi! does this mean you'' be doing online classes??? that would be awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously considering it - trying to figure out the best way to make it work! Glad you think it's a good idea!

      Delete
  3. trying to find the chamois on rio. do you know which you used? thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's this one, but I think I had a coupon or something: http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Stoddard-Miniature-Chamois-Buff,-Mounted/330509

      Delete
  4. Great video, Francesca! And I had no trouble hearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! Had no idea hammers could be dressed. Btw, I could hear very well. Fantabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about trying to come up with something like "What the well-dressed hammer is wearing..." but I'm not that clever. LOL!

      Delete
  6. Great video! Appreciate the information. And I didn't see any bitchy face... Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Thank you for that - I'll make sure to tell Letty! :-D

      Delete
  7. Excellent video. Just speak louder or quiet the background engine sound. But it was interesting and you did a great job. Now I have look at my hammers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look into audio options for the next one - thanks Jackie!

      Delete
  8. That was very helpful! I'm a beginner and l appreciate the help. I have had issues with hammers but didn't exactly understand why. Your presentation was excellent and I hope you'll do more of these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great video. I didn't know about dressing a hammer as I am a beginner jewelry maker. Thank you for sharing. You come across as someone I would enjoy working with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to see your beautiful face Francesca!! You're a wonderful teacher and it shows! :)

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.