Monday, April 13, 2015

2015 NY/NJ Mineral, Fossil, Gem & Jewelry Show Recap!

Normally this weekend would have been spent at Bead Fest Spring but this year I decided to change things up.  Instead, I attended the 2015 NY/NJ Mineral, Fossil, Gem & Jewelry Show in Edison, NJ.
Scenes from the show floor
This was a large gem & mineral show held inside the Edison convention center.  There was booth after booth of mineral specimens, fossils and the occasional bead vendor.  I skipped most of the bead vendors because I do all my major (gem) bead shopping at Bead Fest in August.

Amethyst, petrified wood, rough green garnet
I found the show to be overwhelming.  I didn't go in with a game plan so I became distracted by the rows upon rows of vendors.
Faceted gems, metal detector finds from local properties, cabochons
There were plenty of faceted gems to be found in a wide range of prices but the cabochon selection at the show was lacking. I only found 3 vendors selling cabs.  

Fun finds at the show
On a positive note, they had some wonderful fossil and mineral displays.  The dinosaur fossils were great and they were brought in by a broker who rents/sells them for private collections and museums.  Yes, we could have come home with our own dinosaur...ok, maybe part of one (a REALLY small part).  They were waaaaaay out of my price range.  
Fossils on display
Overall, we had a good time and I picked up a few things (which I can't show you because they are gifts).  I probably wouldn't go back though as the bead scene is really my thing.  

What fun things did you do this weekend?

Happy Beading!

5 comments :

  1. You mean I'm not going to find that impressive pair of tusks on you lounge wall when I come over...how disappointing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to go to a show like that, looks like a lot of fun...would want to take more money than I have tho...lol! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you were disappointed, but Im not surprised. The gems shows around here are mainly specimens and pendants with the gold leaf edging - you know the kind I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least the fossils were impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found some pretty amazing stuff! Wouldn't it be something to have a dinosaur?!!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.